How do you "heat cycle" a car when breaking it in?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
no heat cycling necessary.
drive it and drive it hard
change the oil early
done.

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
how early is early??? was wondering since the car was made in Jan. 04 is the oil that old??? I bought the car in Dec. and just turned 1300 miles, figure could change it now.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
i changed my break in oil at 20 miles, 200 miles, 500 miles and every 3k after that

PhillyCobra

Established Member
I think the term "heat cycle" actually refers to tires. Especially with high performance tires, the rubber reforms its molecular bonds after 1 or 2 cycles of heating and slow cooling, making it stickier and more wear resistant. That's one reason why racers sometimes "scrub" a set of tires before using them during a race. Tire Rack and other suppliers will heat cylce tires for you prior to purchase, using an oven type apparatus.

SlowSVT

Established Member
quadcammer said:
no heat cycling necessary.
drive it and drive it hard
change the oil early
done.

It may not be necessary but advisable. Driving a brand new engine “hard” is stupid :bash:

“Heat cycling” relieves stresses built up in the engine parts from the manufacturing process. Consider the stress left in the engine block right after the casting has been poured. Think about it. 2200˚ Molten iron is poured into a mold and then cooled. As it cools it contracts and stiffens at the same time. The cooling will not be even throughout the casting and these are some disparities in wall thickness that will aggravate the situation even more. Now you have permanent stress built right into the casting. If the casting core it not designed properly the stress could crack after it comes out of the mold. Steel and cast iron is sometimes heated to 1200˚for 2 hours to remove these stresses. The same thing can be accomplished by heat cycling your engine but it takes longer because it only gets to 200˚ but after many cycles it will slowly remove those stresses. Same thing with a forging. Under high temperature the metal is pounded into a shape. As that part cools it will contract and stresses will be built into that as well. Just cus you can’t see it don’t mean it’s not there. Generally a used engine will be stronger and more reliable then a brand new one for this reason.

SlowSVT

Established Member
SilverCobra04 said:
I actually had both heads replaced, not the whole engine on my 04. So I'm good to go. :burnout:

Your probably OK but it could not hurt to take it easy for a little while. Since the heads are made from aluminum and not as stiff as the iron block. Aluminum stress relieves at 350 degrees.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
It may not be necessary but advisable. Driving a brand new engine “hard” is stupid :bash:

“Heat cycling” relieves stresses built up in the engine parts from the manufacturing process. Consider the stress left in the engine block right after the casting has been poured. Think about it. 2200˚ Molten iron is poured into a mold and then cooled. As it cools it contracts and stiffens at the same time. The cooling will not be even throughout the casting and these are some disparities in wall thickness that will aggravate the situation even more. Now you have permanent stress built right into the casting. If the casting core it not designed properly the stress could crack after it comes out of the mold. Steel and cast iron is sometimes heated to 1200˚for 2 hours to remove these stresses. The same thing can be accomplished by heat cycling your engine but it takes longer because it only gets to 200˚ but after many cycles it will slowly remove those stresses. Same thing with a forging. Under high temperature the metal is pounded into a shape. As that part cools it will contract and stresses will be built into that as well. Just cus you can’t see it don’t mean it’s not there. Generally a used engine will be stronger and more reliable then a brand new one for this reason.
:cryying: Here comes Oliver!!!!

SlowSVT

Established Member
To each his own.

You're going to drive your brand new Cobra off the dealers lot and hammer on it just to seat the rings? I guess I misinterpreted that part in the owners manual.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
heat cycling can be especially beneficial to the longevity of gears, like transmission and differential

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
To each his own.

You're going to drive your brand new Cobra off the dealers lot and hammer on it just to seat the rings? I guess I misinterpreted that part in the owners manual.
The problem is that you DON'T know how your car was driven BEFORE you got it. How many test drives by the techs at the dealership. How many test drives by pimply faced boys with raging hormones.

Got your car right off the carrier? Still no guaranty. I have seen many carriers parked at rest stops with the ramps down and a car missing. I don't think it fell off by itself. Take a trip to a car factory (I have gone through the Taurus factory here in Atlanta several times with my engineering organization). You should see how they drive a Taurus off the end of the line. Think they are gentler with a Mustang? Better think again!

Fact is, these engines are broken in before they are ever dropped (or more correctly, lifted) into the engine bay. Drive yours as easy you want. I have had fun since day one and will never look back. I've done this with every new car I have ever bought. Sure I've had trouble with some, but not many. My 86 GT went over 10 years and over 200,000 miles and was still running strong on the original engine. It's all in the maintenace of the car. I've had more trouble keeping rubber on the rear tires than I've had with broken engines.

Engine Breakin Secrets

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
SnakeBit said:
Fact is, these engines are broken in before they are ever dropped (or more correctly, lifted) into the engine bay. Drive yours as easy you want. I have had fun since day one and will never look back. I've done this with every new car I have ever bought. Sure I've had trouble with some, but not many. My 86 GT went over 10 years and over 200,000 miles and was still running strong on the original engine. It's all in the maintenace of the car. I've had more trouble keeping rubber on the rear tires than I've had with broken engines.

Engine Breakin Secrets

The proof is right there in that link. Great read :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread