How do you launch?

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I find this car hard to launch for some reason? (Compared to my old GT anyway). There is a very fine line between bogging down embarrassingly and spinning like crazy. I've yet to find a launch that I can repeat with any sort of consistency, and that feels like it would produce a good 60' time (or 0-60 time for that matter). I have a g-tech to help me calculate how good it was in comparison to others (0-60mph time), but I still haven't been able to nail it. Granted I haven't tried that many times, but of the 15 times I have tried, only once have I gotten it pretty good. I'm not trying to beat the snot out of my car trying, just wondering how you guys are launching, and if you have the same issues or am I just a bad driver?

Is there a certain RPM you hold it at and dump/let out clutch? or?

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
i found that if I launched at about 2K I would still spin a bit but would grab alot sooner (this is on the street though) Raced my buddies 03--he had an x- pipe on me mind you but he spun terrably and I was able to beat him by at least a half of car length

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
How fast do you let the clutch out at 2k? If I want a good launch from 2k I need to let out pretty slow, which produces a longer 0-60 time. If I dump too fast at 2k, I get bogging hardcore until it catches itself and gets back up to like 2.5k. I think my *better* launched have started at at least 2.5k-3.5k with a fast clutch release. If I remember right, my *best* so far (via gtech) had a little spin, but I eased off of it just for a split second to stop spinning and got right back on it to nail 2nd. I'm just trying to get a text book way of doing this so I have a better chance of hitting it every time.

NY04snake

track rat
Established Member
when street tires spin, you lose (period). side step the clutch at no more than 2K, and then ROLL into the throttle, that means a steady, increasingly faster action depressing the gas. My fastest times on F1's started with a bog that almost sounded like I stalled it and then I ran 12.2/119mph, if you hear stock tires spinning, try easier next time. Street tires are an example of going slower (at the launch) so you get your fastest ET and you will eat up anybody, smoking his street tires. The problem is relaxing and convincing yourself that an easy start with a quick bite and no spin, actually gets you to the other end faster.

- 04_snake

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
StngStr said:
I rev it up to about 5500 and dump the clutch as fast as I can. :)
Might want to install that IRS brace :thumbsup:

Seriously though, is this car just hard to launch or what? I hate that bogging!

eastwood

03 silver cobra
Established Member
I have ran mine 4 times.All in the same day. It was hot as hell.I launched by patting the gas and trying to keep it around 2200 rpms.Dont do that I sucked.2.3 60 ft times.

04cobratorchred

I Love Being Blown
Established Member
NY04snake said:
when street tires spin, you lose (period). side step the clutch at no more than 2K, and then ROLL into the throttle, that means a steady, increasingly faster action depressing the gas. My fastest times on F1's started with a bog that almost sounded like I stalled it and then I ran 12.2/119mph, if you hear stock tires spinning, try easier next time. Street tires are an example of going slower (at the launch) so you get your fastest ET and you will eat up anybody, smoking his street tires. The problem is relaxing and convincing yourself that an easy start with a quick bite and no spin, actually gets you to the other end faster.

- 04_snake

Thats a good point. I don't really try to launch the shit out of it. i just give it kind of a easy start and then really step on it. I don't spin at all or bog down. This seems to work best for me.

PDubs

Established Member
You know, I tried all the different theories that people gave me. Hold rpm @ 2k, 2.5k, 3k, etc...slip clutch, grip, then slam it. I could never get it to work right. The last time I went to the track, I said screw it. I held the revs where it felt comfortable, waited for the green (should have left on the last yellow instead), quickly slipped the clutch and once I felt the grip, slammed it.

I don't know what RPMs it was at. Prolly between 1800-2200. The point being, do what you feel is comfortable. I think with more practice, I could use everyone's advice by holding RPMs at a particular range, but not yet. I did what felt good and it worked.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
I find that you have to start to increase your RPM's as you let off the clutch. I ususally hold it at 2k, and bring it up to 3 on the increase. As soon as I start to lift the clutch up, I give it more gas. (so your engaging the clutch as you bring it from 2-3, your not holding it at 2 or 3 or whatever and letting the clutch out) As the clutch starts to engage, its hitting the flywheel which is now accelerating (not just at a constant speed) so now the car doesnt bog. Naturally the RPM's do drop during this process, but with no bog. ONce I start to go, my RPM's are around 2k. The entire process is ususally around a second.

So just slip the clutch while accelerating, dont wait for the clutch to grab before you hit the gas. Engage the clutch while the flywheel is accelerating.

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
mike79 said:
I find that you have to start to increase your RPM's as you let off the clutch. I ususally hold it at 2k, and bring it up to 3 on the increase. As soon as I start to lift the clutch up, I give it more gas. (so your engaging the clutch as you bring it from 2-3, your not holding it at 2 or 3 or whatever and letting the clutch out) As the clutch starts to engage, its hitting the flywheel which is now accelerating (not just at a constant speed) so now the car doesnt bog. Naturally the RPM's do drop during this process, but with no bog. ONce I start to go, my RPM's are around 2k. The entire process is ususally around a second.

So just slip the clutch while accelerating, dont wait for the clutch to grab before you hit the gas. Engage the clutch while the flywheel is accelerating.
thanks that puts it pretty good for me, i get that idea a little better of "feathering the clutch"

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
NY04snake said:

- 04_snake

What he said

Users who are viewing this thread