How do you lose weight while sleeping?

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
It makes no sense and i cant figur it out. I goto bed i'm 215lb. I wake up...anywhere from 210-213lbs. Wheres it going? I know i'm not sweating off 3-5 lbs in my sleep. The question has plagued mankind for decades.............atleast me. And i know its not just me, i heard it being disgussed on the radio a few months ago:shrug:

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
The body fluctuates in weight. Your not losing Fat or Muscle your losing water. 2-10lbs can be losed at night. It all depends on you metabolism.

Hope this helps

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I wrestled for a long time and as a wrestler I had to cut large amounts of weight. I got to a point where I could guess my weight to the Tenths of pounds.

Its pretty simple. Your body has a metabolism that runs all the time it burns fat / weight to keep you breathing, pumping, moving. During the day you burn much more fat, but at night its your metabolism still runs keeping you alive.
A old trick we would use is to sleep with the window open (wrestling Season is during the winter) and try now to use a bunch of blankets. The shaking and your body combating the cold will make you lose much more weight sometime as much as 1lb more then just a regular sleep.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
but wheres it go? There has to be a bi-product of losing 5lbs a night, right? It cant vanish.

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
It goes into you actions. If you breathe it takes energy to move you muscles, Which burns fat. It works the same way as exercising but at a much slower rate

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
holy shit dude,

you brought this back to say that? Sorry but your post did suck. Now that i know you have the time to research all my posts, go find them all and post the same thing. Thanks

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
BLOWN PONY said:
I wrestled for a long time and as a wrestler I had to cut large amounts of weight. I got to a point where I could guess my weight to the Tenths of pounds.

Its pretty simple. Your body has a metabolism that runs all the time it burns fat / weight to keep you breathing, pumping, moving. During the day you burn much more fat, but at night its your metabolism still runs keeping you alive.
A old trick we would use is to sleep with the window open (wrestling Season is during the winter) and try now to use a bunch of blankets. The shaking and your body combating the cold will make you lose much more weight sometime as much as 1lb more then just a regular sleep.

i wrestled for a long time. this is unfortunately the shit we would do (actually its only the tip of the iceberg) to lose weight.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
1999WhiteSVT said:
heat. the byproduct of energy is heat. thank you physics class

WRONG ANSWER!!!

No, you are not converting any appreciable mass into energy during your sleep.

So where does it go? 3 places:

First, you are producing urine and poop. If you weigh yourself after that morning pee and poop, its going to make a big difference. But let's remove those from the equation and ask ourselves where the weight goes.

Through the skin. Your skin maintains a natural level of moisture that evaporates away all through out the night. This accounts for about 45% of the weight loss.

Finally, the third place you are losing weight in your sleep is via the breathing process. i.e. you are breathing it out as moisture in your breath. You see that moisture on a cold morning when you breath. With every breath you take you are exhaling water weight. This accounts for another 45% of the weight loss. The remaining 10% is lost in the balance of O2 and CO2 exchanged during breathing.

http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1085015&pageindex=6#page

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
esqeddy said:
WRONG ANSWER!!!

No, you are not converting any appreciable mass into energy during your sleep.

So where does it go? 3 places:

First, you are producing urine and poop. If you weigh yourself after that morning pee and poop, its going to make a big difference. But let's remove those from the equation and ask ourselves where the weight goes.

Through the skin. Your skin maintains a natural level of moisture that evaporates away all through out the night. This accounts for about 45% of the weight loss.

Finally, the third place you are losing weight in your sleep is via the breathing process. i.e. you are breathing it out as moisture in your breath. You see that moisture on a cold morning when you breath. With every breath you take you are exhaling water weight. This accounts for another 45% of the weight loss. The remaining 10% is lost in the balance of O2 and CO2 exchanged during breathing.

http://www.pubmedcentral.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=1085015&pageindex=6#page

This is absolutely correct. Anything else is false.

Users who are viewing this thread