How do YOU secure your trailer from theft?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Rebuilding my trailer, including putting a new wood bed in it. How are you guys securing from theft? I live in a rural area and do have a territorial dog, but he's getting older and doesn't hear as well as he used to.

*edit - I know a determined thief can take anything, just want to slow them down and hopefully keep them from trying.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have one of these on my cargo trailer. Pricey, but damn near bomb proof.

If they get through this thing, they deserve the free trailer lol

We live outside the city limits. Nice neighborhood, 1-2 acre lots so houses are spread out and no street lights due to being county not city. Of course this makes us a prime target for thieves. I have never had anything successfully stolen in 25 yrs but a neighbor just had a trailer stolen with a John Deere riding mower on it. I sent him the link to what you recommended.

I did have a thief almost get away about 10yrs ago. We have a 6 person Ez-go golf cart in our back shed. The wife uses it to cruise the hood and load flowers on it for planting. The thief loaded up the cart with everything imaginable. one problem he didn’t count on is because it is a larger 6 person cart, it has the “dump truck constant beep” when you back up. It scared the hell out of him and he ran away before he got it backed out of the shed.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
We live outside the city limits. Nice neighborhood, 1-2 acre lots so houses are spread out and no street lights due to being county not city. Of course this makes us a prime target for thieves. I have never had anything successfully stolen in 25 yrs but a neighbor just had a trailer stolen with a John Deere riding mower on it. I sent him the link to what you recommended.

I did have a thief almost get away about 10yrs ago. We have a 6 person Ez-go golf cart in our back shed. The wife uses it to cruise the hood and load flowers on it for planting. The thief loaded up the cart with everything imaginable. one problem he didn’t count on is because it is a larger 6 person cart, it has the “dump truck constant beep” when you back up. It scared the hell out of him and he ran away before he got it backed out of the shed.

Thieves are so fookin stupid. Thank God for that lol

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Heck, I even considered taking wheels off on one side, but that would be a PITA. The boot is a nice idea as well.

Apparently, the coupler lock can be easily defeated by a thief who just backs up and literally chains the coupler to a hitch and doesn't even worry about the tongue lock. Pull to a safe area and then defeat whatever device is on the tongue.

Also considered chaining in place with a chain through the wheels or something. They could defeat with bolt cutters, but it would also likely alert my dog. They don't want him on them. That wouldn't go well.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Heck, I even considered taking wheels off on one side, but that would be a PITA. The boot is a nice idea as well.

Apparently, the coupler lock can be easily defeated by a thief who just backs up and literally chains the coupler to a hitch and doesn't even worry about the tongue lock. Pull to a safe area and then defeat whatever device is on the tongue.

Also considered chaining in place with a chain through the wheels or something. They could defeat with bolt cutters, but it would also likely alert my dog. They don't want him on them. That wouldn't go well.

I suppose that's true, but that sure would make a bunch of noise and draw lots of attention.

you can also run a high quality chain through the wheels and over the leafs/axles as an added measure.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have two locks on mine. I know the tongue lock for the coupler isn't the highest quality, but it's a deterrent at least. I also keep the padlock I use for the tongue latch in place. Eventually I'll be able to park it behind my gate again.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I have two locks on mine. I know the tongue lock for the coupler isn't the highest quality, but it's a deterrent at least. I also keep the padlock I use for the tongue latch in place. Eventually I'll be able to park it behind my gate again.
I've got one of the ball type tongue locks that go in the coupler. The coupler itself has a tab welded to it and a place to put a padlock there, so that's my plan as well.

I guess I'll do my due diligence and lock the tongue and maybe chain the wheels. More importantly, I'll go ahead and get insurance put on it, so if it walks then I'll at least get something out of it.

bmxer89

Established Member
I got a wheel lock, hitch lock and a hidden air tag on mine. I also try and block it in with my truck when I can. I live in a super nice neighborhood now but I grew up in the damn near ghetto as a kid so I always go overboard on security. Most of my neighbors have no locks on any of theirs.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I got a wheel lock, hitch lock and a hidden air tag on mine. I also try and block it in with my truck when I can. I live in a super nice neighborhood now but I grew up in the damn near ghetto as a kid so I always go overboard on security. Most of my neighbors have no locks on any of theirs.
What's it like to be like your neighbors and not worry about stuff like this? Asking for a friend. LOL

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just have a tongue lock. Have not had any issues. Where I live currently, that is kind of overboard. We went to camp last year and forgot to lock the house up. Was gone a week and nobody messed with anything.
Now that Biden is shipping illegals up here to Maine, I have started being a little bit more security conscience about locking stuff up. I don't think anything is going to get worse for a while as we do live out in the sticks and those folks usually stay around the cities where they have the free handouts. Our "Town" has 2 gas stations/convenience stores about 3 miles from each other. Other than that, we have a Post Office, two Churches, Fire Station and "Town Office". That's it.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I have one of these on my cargo trailer. Pricey, but damn near bomb proof.

If they get through this thing, they deserve the free trailer lol

I’ve seen that bad boy on the lock picking lawyer on YouTube. It’s what he recommends if he was locking up a trailer. Interesting channel if you haven’t seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

olympic

Established Member
I remove the coupler(it's only 2 bolts on my trailer) and put a lock on the crank for the jack.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Local rental place has the floor anchors that body shops use and chain all their trailers to those.
champ-1600-anchor-pot.jpg

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
My cousin DJ's at lots of weddings and had his trailer with all its equipment stollen from out in front of his house. Made all 3 major news stations, it and the $40k of equipment was gone, and has yet to be seen (much was unique) and this is 2 years now. But oddly a month before the other trailer with a friend of his who bought a fancy photo booth they rent out to and take to weddings and events was stolen. They found the trailer emptied in a park, but the booth is all touchscreen mirrored glass and handmade in Israel, and used a Canon DSLR that you had to keep attached unless you entirely disassembled it. Our neighborhoods are where you can leave your garage door open all the time, front door unlocked (did that for a week while out of town and didn't notice until after getting home to clear the brochures/cards from my deck. Everyone uses the garage lol.

In both incidents Cops asked are there tags/plates on the trailers, even expired ones as most of the squad cars here have plate readers and that does a lot of work for them. They could put it in the system and boom. So a good place for expired plates is your trailer if under 2M here.

Users who are viewing this thread