How do you tell C5 from Z06

sapper

Established Member
A couple just moved in next door. The husband is an air force colonel and drives a C5. Its fairly new, but not the 2002 style. Nice car, I hope he is up for a little fun when my 03 comes in.

But I digress, back to my question.
How do you tell if a vette is the standard C5 with the LS1 or a Z06 with the LS6? Is there an easy way to tell the year?
I think I need some chart of cars like the military used in WWII to identify enemy planes.
;-)

nitro

Established Member
The Z06 has brake vents right in front of back wheels.Also a badge on front quarter panel.

Bry 03 Cobra

Established Member
easiest thing to look for is the scoop in front of the rear wheels, also looks like a vert, not a hatch back. (Think 93 Mustang notch back LX's) They have a small rear window, and a actual trunk. And different wheels and badging.
Bryan

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by nitro
The Z06 has brake vents right in front of back wheels.Also a badge on front quarter panel.

I was driving in Scottsdale last week and saw a silver covertable vette with the scoop in front of the rear wheels and the z06 badge. Are they making these in convertable now or could this be a "wanna be" modification.

nitro

Established Member
It could be either one.Theres a conversion shop that will cut off the roof of a z06 and make it a Z06 vert.

robiferretti

Established Member
ready....exterior differences are as follows.....

Z06 hard top only (dont come in automatic either)
the obvious badging
the brake cooling vents on the rear 1/4 pannels
the wheels are different as opposed to the stock 5 spoke
the front of the car has grill mesh where the foglights are located on the coupe/convertible models
the exhaust is titanium and is four circular non chrome looking pipes

Plus the Z06 only comes in certain colors...:beer:

Last edited:

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
They made some hardtops with the LS1 before the Z06, but they did not sell well, thus the Z06 was born. A regular C5 has nothing where the Z06 badges are.

Grey03

Established Member
Originally posted by A's Cobra
if your both stock he'll pass you

I think it depends on the year, a 01 Z06 has 385hp, and 02 has 405hp. I raced a 01 on the highway twice from 60 to about 130. The first time we raced I left him because I guess he thought he could start in 4th gear, I was in 3rd. So we line up again and we slow down enough so he could downshift. I was waiting for a signal we he punches it, so I am "chasing", but he didnt get that much ahead my front bumper was at the rear of his car and it stayed that way until we slowed. I couldn't pass him and he couldn't pull me, so I would say it was a dead heat. The guy was real cool and waved, as we both had big smiles on our faces.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Originally posted by BLACK SUNSHINE
But all hardtops are not Z06s. If you see a hardtop w/o the stinking badges, do not be scared.

I would say precisely the reverse. The only people who really bought the FRC's were hardcore drivers. Most of the guys I know that have them have quite a bit into it performance wise. At a minumum all the bolt ons, and lots of guys bought them to do T1 racing and such. Kind of like the notchback fox body, ugly duckling of the bunch, but the guys really after performance bought that instead of the GT....

BLACK SUNSHINE

Established Member
The DBK, you are correct. I was being funny. The hardtop is lighter than the regular hatchback C5. My Ram Air's best time was 12.8, but I got beat by a stock Z06 who ran a 12.54 with a crappy launch. I got a great holeshot on him with my nittos, too. I saw a regular C5 with a cam and tuning run a 12.41 in hot weather. My Cobra is not there yet, but it better run a 12 in the kind of cold weather my Ram Air did. I am not planning on getting cocky with any C5's anytime soon, but I ain't skeered.

A's Cobra

Established Member
biggest thing they have on us is weight, another thing is most of the 385's started adding mods as soon as the 405's came out...exhaust, fipk's, chips
Know what he's runnin before you find out the hard way, mine is stock and staying that way till warrenty runs out(maybe), my buds Z06(385) has an exhaust and filter, he's faster but not by much

sapper

Established Member
Assuming equal drivers, from a stop, what are the minimum mods needed on the 03 Cobra to walk a stock C5? (if any?)

What are the minimum mods needed on the 03 Cobra to walk a stock Z06?

It would be nice to list total mod cost with the packages you guys think up.

I bet MOST vette and Cobra owners leave their cars stock. We talk alot about mods here, but we are driven hardcore car and speed fans as are those on the LS1 and LS6 sites.

nitro

Established Member
Unlike regular C-5 owners,Z06 guys can't leave them alone.Go to Z06vette.com,there are very few stock cars.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Z06's have RED brake calipers stock, RED plastic covers on the motor when you open the hood. 01 Z06's say Z06 on the 2 front fenders, 02 Z06's say Z06 with 405HP under the Z06 part. Some have door moldings and some do not, that was an option. Um, i think the other differences have all been said, this is all i could come up with to add looks wise. Oh the seat headrests are embroidered Z06 in red, and the gauges on the dashboard has Z06 written in there behind the clear plastic. I dont know if this is on 01's Z06's, i know it is on my friends 02 Z06 though. As far as colors go, the 01 Z06 was offered in white, red, black, or yellow. 02 Z06's were offered in same colors, except white was dropped for quicksilver and electron blue was offered also. Both years were available with 2 color interior choices, all black or part red/part black. Im 99% sure im right about the exterior color offereings for both years. Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread