How fast are police cars??

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I was getting directions from a cop the other day and when I glanced at the speedometer and it read all the way up to 150 mph. My question is does anybody know the top speed a cop car can reach?? Also with that interceptor engine how fast would they be through the 1/4?? Also I talked to a guy with a Camaro that said he had the police interceptor engine after he blew me away. How much power and how fast do they generally go??

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
They are all the same as their stock counterparts.

I think a crown vic is top speed limited to around 120ish. I think.

The Camaro will probably run high 13's stock cuz its an auto. A crown vic, well, probably 16's at 80 something.

shocker 420

Established Member
Don't know but I saw a video of a police chase a while back and the car they were chasing was going like 160, and they were right behind him.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
I know a guy who owns a new interceptor detective car and it's damn close to my GT in the acceleration department. Here's a tip though, never try to run. They have tranny and oil intercoolers that would make you jealous. They can run WOT all day long and not overheat anything.

They are really nice inside too.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
The guy I bought my hooptie from (my neighbor) owns a police interceptor (Crown Vic ex-cop car), and it's definitely faster than a stock crown vic, plus it handles far better. They take out some weight over civilian cars and add a little power.

v8venomgt

Established Member
:lol: at some of the responses. the only thing they have are oil/tranny coolers, and i beleive underdrive pullies thats it. if anything they weigh more then a civilian spec crown vic due to all of the police equipment/radio. they do have a rear seat delete replaced by plastic seats if that adds any performance :kaboom: ive had the experience of both driving and getting on regular cv and police spec cv since i work for a ford dealership that distrubits police cv to a major county. i am not aware if they are governed or not, but they definately are not quick. as fast as a mustang gt? i doubt it, but if the gt were an auto, its not as if the gt is worlds quicker and put trainlengths on any kind of cv and the cv should be able to keep up reasonably.

punchit

Established Member
the crown vic's here only have a top speed of 117. Not that fast at all. Criminal justice class pays off!!

Fordy

Established Member
I also work at a ford dealership and have driven many highway patrol cars and sd police dept cars. They are pretty much just a regular Crown Vic. I have a pos 96 GT and CHP cars are PATHETIC compared to even that. My mom has a 2002 crown vic, the limiter is 112 MPH, obviously chp cars have the removed. I'd guess a chp car could make it to about 130 MAX. and it would take a good minute to get there :) As far as handling goes, no no, its still an extremely fat ass boat, but can take a speed bump at like 50 mph and not feel a thing, even thos ENORMOUS speed bumps in some residential areas. I seriously doubt the have pullies, they have an upgraded alternator, and need all the electrical power they can get to run all the computers and lights.

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
I went for a ride along last summer. I was pretty amazed at how hard the car pulled from a roll. They sound pretty damn sweet 2. I had a 5-speed 04 GT with a few bolt ons. I would say it would give the GT a run for its money.

RTR GHIG

Established Member
punchit said:
the crown vic's here only have a top speed of 117. Not that fast at all. Criminal justice class pays off!!

Same here in SA. The regular cruisers are governed., while the traffic and unmarked road rage cops aren't. :thumbsup:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I think most people make the wrong assumption about Crown Vics and that is why people looking sedans disregard them for Five-Hundreds. What you have to remember is that there are varying set-ups on these cars that can make a difference.

The standard civilian Crown Vic makes 224 horsepower through a single exhaust and has a 2.73 rear end. Next, is what I've got...the 239 horsepower with dual exhaust and the 3.27 rear. This is commonly referred to as the P74 or the Crown Vic with HPP or handling/performance package. This comes also with revised front springs, front/rear sway bars and rear air suspension which makes considerable difference in ride, handling, and braking characteristics. Next is the P71 Interceptor. For a long time, they were rated the same as the HPP civilian Vic, but now has an additional 11 hp rating due to the use of the old Marauder's MAS and air tube. The Interceptor also comes with a 3.27 standard or optional 3.55 rear. Most HP units order the 3.27 for better top end...plus the decline in usage of traditional light bars decrease drag at top speed. The Interceptor uses HD rear coil springs rather than the air suspension. FWIW, Popular Mechanics did a comparo of the civilian air suspension Vic vs. the Interceptor suspension a few years ago (largely unchanged) and the civilian Vic outhandled the police version. At that time, it was also a bit quicker. The air suspension achieves the same improvement in performance but with different means. The air suspension works great for load-leveling. If you've seen a standard Grand Marquis heading down the interstate with its tail dragging, then it doesn't have the air suspension which always keeps the car level regardless of passenger or cargo weight.

When I sold my 01 Cobra, I never thought I'd end up in a HPP Vic, but it really surprised me when I test drove it (much better than the 500) and I have seen quite a few blaring eyes from other drivers on the road, surprised that it moves out as strongly as it does. Its certainly not as fast as my Cobra when being wrung out, but I used to have a 99 GT automatic and it feels very close in comparison on the street...as well as it should with nearly identical the same powertrain and drivetrain...with just an extra 600 lbs to lug around. I really feel like the Vics are slightly underrated...maybe due to the switch to throttle by wire system. Maybe they tweaked the performance with engine management some without re-certifying the results. It could be my imagination. Whatever it is, I've been very pleased with the car for a daily driver. With even just a little bit of additional factory performance hardware, the Crown Vic handles better, accelerates better, rides better and doesn't brake dive like the standard issue Crown Victorias.

Its all relative in perspective. If you're used to driving a low 13 or high 12 coupe, then yeah the Crown Vic seems sluggish. However, in the every day cut and thrust and lane to lane driving, you'd be surprised at how the old Vic moves out and handles. I've seen State Troopers and police whip a quick U and go WOT and they aren't slow and can be at interstate speed rather quickly. They just have to have the coolers and HD springs to keep the cars downtime to a minimum because certainly the P71s get a lot more abuse than your average Crown Vic.

Ginsu

Established Member
LOL, yea I have to agree that most of the responses are amusing! The police vics are not any faster than a standard vic, or a fully equiped and loaded with gear, maybe about as fast as a Honda Civic! From what I remember about the vics my department (when I was an officer) had mod wise was improved cooling system, electrical and maybe suspension. The suspension doesn't matter after about 30,000 miles of regular street use; the bitch will rattle and sway like a GM.

Never buy a patrol car at an auction! Rarely will you find one that will not be a maintance problem after the abuse they are put through!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
T-Bolt said:
The guy I bought my hooptie from (my neighbor) owns a police interceptor (Crown Vic ex-cop car), and it's definitely faster than a stock crown vic, plus it handles far better. They take out some weight over civilian cars and add a little power.

negatory.....

Users who are viewing this thread