How I Installed the Ford Racing Shifter Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

6-Speed

Established Member
I replaced my stock shifter handle with a Ford Racing polished stainless steel handle with white ball knob PN M-7213-K. IMO, the white ball shift knob is a timeless classic. The handle/knob did not come with any instructions - so here is how I installed it.

Here are the tools & supplies I used to install the handle:
1. 14mm combination wrench
2. 3/8" ratchet wrench handle with 13mm socket.
3. 3/8" Torque wrench.
4. Thread Locker - Loctite 242 blue (optional)

1. Pop off the bezel - it pops off really easy with a plastic prybar.
IMG_0954.jpg

The elastic boot collar fits over a groove at the base of the knob. It may be easier to unscrew the knob if you start by pulling the boot collar down off the base off the knob allowing it to turn freely.

Stock_Shifter_Knob.jpg

2. Unscew knob and remove boot/bezel, then pull the knob out of the boot.

IMG_0955.jpg

3. Remove stock handle bolts using a 13mm wrench. Suggest putting a towel around the console opening to keep from marring the edges in case the wrench slips.
Handle_Removal.jpg

Here's the FRPP handle next to the stock handle:
stock_vs_frpp.jpg

4. Remove the knob and jam nut from handle FRPP handle. Bolt on the FRPP handle to the shifter stub. The torque spec for these bolts is 26 lb-ft.

A suggestion was made to apply some medium strength thread locker (blue loctite 242) on the bolt threads before installing due to vibration. You only need to apply a little near the tip of the bolt where it threads into the shifter stub. I used a metric M8 split lock washer combined with a standard washer instead (lock washer against the bolt head followed by the standard washer).

IMG_0964.jpg

5. Insert the grommet on the handle and push it down to desired position. Install the boot/bezel over the handle but leave it loose for now. Pull the boot opening over the grommet such that it fits in the notch. Screw on the jam nut - with the hex nut side down. Then snap the bezel back in the console. Screw the jam nut all the way down, then screw on the ball knob. You'll have to play around with the knob and jam nut until the shift pattern lines up. Then tighten the jam nut against the ball with a 14mm wrench while holding the ball in the desired position.

IMG_0970.jpg

And here it is complete - I love the look:
IMG_0986.jpg

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
I have since replaced my shifter with a Ford Racing short-throw shifter and the shifter knob with a custom knob from Grabber Pony. It's of very high quality. I picked Windveil Blue rather than Vista Blue because it appeared to have some streaks of white embedded in it. Turns out that it has that appearance because of the swirls in the metallic paint - very cool. The knob is heavier than the Ford Racing knob and a bit larger (2"), therefore it feels better in my hand.

IMG_3311.jpg
IMG_3322.jpg

The heavier ball seems to damp out some of the NVH (buzzing) from the tranny in 1st thru 4th gear, but I still get the noise while in 5th and 6th gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread