How important are injectors for a s/c Cobra?

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
I have a 98 Cobra that is going through an engine replacement but also with a S/C. How important are injector when a S/C is invloved with the setup. Will it make a difference if I leave the stock injectors or should go with 36lbs or 42lbs???

I'm already spending a great deal of money on the new engine and the mechanic is saying that an additonal $600.00 will get me new 42lbs injectors and something about programing the mass air censor (something to do with the mass air).

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I never owned an S/C car but I know this; every cobra I have ever heard of with an S/C had bigger injectors. Also if you change injectors you need to recalibrate the MAF to match the new injectors. skimping on your fuel system is not wise with an S/C car

Alex

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Alex_96Cobra
I never owned an S/C car but I know this; every cobra I have ever heard of with an S/C had bigger injectors. Also if you change injectors you need to recalibrate the MAF to match the new injectors. skimping on your fuel system is not wise with an S/C car

Alex

thanks Alex, that what my mechanic was talking about, recalibrate the MAF to go along the with the injectors.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
It's a good idea but not a prerequisite. Out of the box supercharger units like Vortech, Paxton and ATI come with what is called a Fuel Management Unit(FMU). It increases the fuel pressure and fuel delivery per PSI of boost you have. It's not incredibly accurate but keeps the engine safe out of the box.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Aflac_Quack51
I was told that if i went with the procharger i'd have to go with 30 lb. injectors.

Only with a stage II which should be around 10 PSI of intercooled boost. The intercooled boost is why you need that extra bit of fuel, it's denser than just having 10 PSI of non-intercooled boost.

Users who are viewing this thread