How important is an aftermarket heat exchanger?

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
I just ordered a 2.8 pulley and idler:rockon: but was wondering about upgrading my HE. How much extra heat is a smaller pulley gonna add when I stay out of boost 95% of the time?

Is upgrading to a more efficient HE:
A) a "necessary" mod when you pulley a Cobra
B) recommended when you pulley
C) not necessary unless you are looking for a bit more power

Thanks!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
You don't HAVE to, but after a boosted run and someone tries to run you or you want to run again, the car will get slower (heat soak).

B) Recommended when you pulley.

And why the fans? The heat exchanger isn't efficiently cooling until 80MPH. The fans recreate this wind.

http://www.gordsfordperformance.com

The stock system is adequate for normal driving on the street with moderate ambient temperatures, but for any serious drag racing with frequent runs, open tracking on the sports car circuits, or extended spirited driving in high air temperatures, heat soak can be a real problem for our cars, particularly with a pulley for increased boost levels.

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much the answer I was hoping for: good, but not aboslutley necessary. I just didn't want to take a chance on hurting anything!

Plus, it's just one more thing I have to "convince" my wife to let me buy. :)

Screamin'SVT

Banned
I would recommend doing it. You are already spinning your S/C out of spec w/ the 2.80, and obviously are generating more heat than Eaton or Ford intended. I put an Afco unit on (same height and width as factory, just thicker) and it makes a big difference in the summer. I just like the feeling of knowing that every time I plant my foot to the floor, I'm gonna feel the same pull. No worries about heatsoak or cooling off before another run, etc. That is why it is one of the first mods I did, even on stock boost. Since you're living in Texas, I would definately recommend one. You'll be happy w/ the bang for the buck @ < $400, the install couldn't be simpler, it looks sick as hell, and it can do nothing but prolong the life of the S/C & motor. Just my .02 :thumbsup:

Shanezam203

Established Member
I have a few questions about the Heat Exchanger myself 2.
redfire.jpg

What company makes the one that says Cobra on it? Or was that something the owner of the car had put on? Does Gords?

I think I am going to get a Heat Exchanger and fans before I get a single blade throttle body, is that better use of money?
Heat Exhcnagers are what $350 and fans are around $200?
Install on both are pretty simple right? Drop the old he, and install the new one with fans. Some of the new ones are bigger right?
Im sure there is a bunch more info on heat exchangers for our cars, ill take a look and search.
but any more info here I'd appreciate it.
thanks, Shane

Last edited:

Tambini

Established Member
Gords makes the HE that has the COBRA logo on it. very easy install, i also installed a switch to run the HE and the fans when the car is off. works good in between runs. i think the HE is a much better buy then the throttle body but thats just my .02

Shanezam203

Established Member
image005.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Above is what im looking for. An upgraded Heat Exchanger with Cobra lettering on it and 2 small Spal fans.
What are my options for wiring those? Anyone make one switch for the fans and the intercooler pump? Or can I keep the ic coming on automaticly?

I agree 100%. Im passing on the tb till I find one cheap in the classifieds. Otherwise I think I am going to put my money in the he. Another question I had. Im not going to go to the track often. Will the heat exchanger still help me some with normal driving, and street driving? I'll be running either a 2.8 or a 2.93...
Thanks, Shane

Last edited:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Helps cool the intercooler.

The H.E. is basically an aftercooler.

Coolant circulates from the supercharger intercooler down to the Heat Exchanger to be cooled, then is pumped back into the resevoir and then the supercharger intercooler once again.

simpman

game artist
Established Member
Fluidyne has a new heat exchanger. Anybody know if it's anygood. Having Cobra written on it though is pretty cool.
This may be the first thing I personally do when I get mine next week.

Ad Wizard

Love+Peace+BikeGrease
Established Member
Originally posted by Screamin'SVT
I would recommend doing it. You are already spinning your S/C out of spec w/ the 2.80, and obviously are generating more heat than Eaton or Ford intended. I put an Afco unit on (same height and width as factory, just thicker) and it makes a big difference in the summer. I just like the feeling of knowing that every time I plant my foot to the floor, I'm gonna feel the same pull. No worries about heatsoak or cooling off before another run, etc. That is why it is one of the first mods I did, even on stock boost. Since you're living in Texas, I would definately recommend one. You'll be happy w/ the bang for the buck @ < $400, the install couldn't be simpler, it looks sick as hell, and it can do nothing but prolong the life of the S/C & motor. Just my .02 :thumbsup:

Granted, I will be spinning the blower right at the max with a 2.8, but how much extra heat is really being generated? Normally, when I'm driving around town, my boost gague doesn't even quiver unless I punch it. What causes heat soak - staying in boost or just the simple act of spinning the rotors while driving normally? :shrug:

Dang, now I can't decide if I should do this!

Shanezam203

Established Member
Originally posted by simpman
Having Cobra written on it though is pretty cool.
This may be the first thing I personally do when I get mine next week.
yeah thats part of th reason I want to get it to, I love the Cobra lettering on the new heat exchanger. man we have expensive tastes. another $400 out the window.
:bash: Shane

Users who are viewing this thread