How long before a 300 mph in the standing mile?

All of these posts I have seen lately about 260+ mph standing mile runs makes me wonder when 300 mph will be broken.

So how far away are we from seeing it and what kind of car will it be?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'd say it's a little ways off. I would say by the progress the GT has made it obviously has the best chance right now, but do we even know if any of these cars are capable of handling 300mph as far as structurally and aerodynamically?

97cobra1

Established Member
I'd say it's a little ways off. I would say by the progress the GT has made it obviously has the best chance right now, but do we even know if any of these cars are capable of handling 300mph as far as structurally and aerodynamically?

Structurally, i'm sure the top dollar cars are perfectly safe.... the aero's required to make a 300 mph run... there may not be a street car in existance that can push to that speed. Never know.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
As of right now I would say the FGT's are definately the front runners. However, there comes a point when you max out the potential. Its going to take even more whp to hit that 300mph mark. From what we have seen the car that supposedly reached 260mph was making 1800rwhp. It is rumored to be making 2000rwhp at 37# of boost. Thats a lot of ****ing boost! I don't know how much more you can push the engines in these things but thats pretty high up there. Anything more and some serious race prep of the block and rotating parts will have to be done. In John Mihovetz(sp?) car he is making 52# of boost and somewhere in the area of 2500rwhp, and he has eliminated all the water passages between the bores of his race prepped Teksid blocks. Hell he even balances the cams in his car like you would a crank!

If it takes 2000rwhp to make a FGT reach 270mph in the standing mile it might take 3000rwhp to reach 300mph(just a wild guess). The amount of power needed increases exponetially the faster you go. As far as aero and stability goes I think the FGT is pretty well set as is with some minor modifacations. One of the biggest challenges I see is getting the right tire, capable of having enough traction and stability at 300mph.

Other cars that I see as having potentiall to compete in the same arena as the FGT is the new ZR1 and the Viper SRT10. Both have the potential to make just as much whp IMO and both are very aero dynamic, more so with the ZR1.

red9450

Established Member
Agreed with the above post. The amount of power it will take to reach those speeds will be absurd. My opinion, the best chance for a car to do this is not with a high end car like the FGT, but to take something like an exige, gut it, and do a built to the hilt smallblock with a pair of turbos. JMO, but at this point it will be easier to remove weight than add power....

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
keeping the car on the ground is also going to be an issue i would think

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Wouldn't finding a tire that can handle those speeds be an issue too? Don't tires come apart at a certain speed?

i'm sure there is a tire that can handle it...hell don't most of the 300-400 mph cars at Bonneville still use some kind of rubber tires?

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
What did the dark green single turbo supra run in the mile? The one that was preppin his car for the mile run..

anyone?

Does anyone who has some info on the 270+ mph GT know if it could run 300 mph as is with an unlimited straight stretch and different gearing? Was wondering if it might have enough power as is to push it that fast.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Depends on how radical you want to go with the modifications. Im sure like landspeed records well move from factory modded cars to full on purpose built racecars with factory sponsored teams and unlimited pocketbooks. Though does it still maintain its integrity as an event like it is now at that point?

THE_STIG

Established Member
I get a flashback of the movie redline when the lambo does the backflip after the kid hits the nitrous. I have a feeling we will see a few Ford GTs doing backflips trying to hit 300mph.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Agreed with the above post. The amount of power it will take to reach those speeds will be absurd. My opinion, the best chance for a car to do this is not with a high end car like the FGT, but to take something like an exige, gut it, and do a built to the hilt smallblock with a pair of turbos. JMO, but at this point it will be easier to remove weight than add power....

At those speeds weight is really not the biggest war they are fighting. I would venture to guess that taking 500 lbs out of a car running the standing mile at 270mph would barely make any difference at all. On the flip side of that, weight often means stability.

03mgtermi

Established Member
NHRA funny cars break 330 mph in the quarter like it was nothing. a quick google search tells me those cars make about 8,000 rwhp and 7,000rwtq running on nitro/meth. looks like the tires hold up pretty well too. seems to me that, as long as you didn't mind risking the motor, you could wind one of those out for the half mile or more and coast to the end. would probably be close to 300 mph at the 1 mile mark. with a little more engineering you might even be able to slow one down enough so that it uses the whole mile to hit 300.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ but nitro engines don't like to be run any other way than WOT

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
see, im thinking the only way well see 300mph on the standing mile is with full blown racecars, tubeframe chassis, fiberglass shells.

The cool thing IMO about the 1mi racing right now its its still using just very modified factory built cars. IMO when you get into purpose built racecars, its going to get very boring.

Id like to see someone bring a sprint cup racecar (no restrictor plate of course) with some extra oomph and a F1 car to the events as well, just for shits and giggles.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
How long before a car breaks 300mph in the standing mile?

That all depends on when I can get some time off work and can send my Camaro down the track!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
NHRA funny cars break 330 mph in the quarter like it was nothing. a quick google search tells me those cars make about 8,000 rwhp and 7,000rwtq running on nitro/meth. looks like the tires hold up pretty well too. seems to me that, as long as you didn't mind risking the motor, you could wind one of those out for the half mile or more and coast to the end. would probably be close to 300 mph at the 1 mile mark. with a little more engineering you might even be able to slow one down enough so that it uses the whole mile to hit 300.

I'm glad someone also thought of this. It would be easy in my mind.

1. Top Alcohol funny or dragster(you can get more sponsors on a funny body)
2. De-tune the Keith Black Hemi running it richer and run less advance, hopefully they know what it would take in seconds of running and figure the cooling/richness out.
3. A different rear gear.
4. A larger fuel tank

Or take an existing 300MPH car out launch it let off roll to the 3/4 mark and hit it again. GAME OVER!

Doing this with a version of any street car available that I have ever heard of would be quite a task. The power needed and the ability to put it down is daunting.

Last edited:

I know dragsters and other types of race cars have gone and can go 300+ mph but I am talking about street legal and streetable cars like the ford gt, viper, or zr1 with insane power but not running on alcohol or nitro meth.

Users who are viewing this thread