How long do these turbo setups last?

blitz1029

Established Member
I've had bad luck with my twin turbo build. I had rod knock happen twice and going on my 3rd rebuild. It's been horrible. I'm just curious how everyones build experience has been? And how long it's been running now and how much boost and hp is everyone putting down?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The tune/tuner is the most important part of the build. Did both engines let go with the same tuner?

s351

Established Member
Who put together your motor's? how much boost and power were you making?

I daily mine, put 10k on it this year, make 800 still holding strong.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
I got mine twin turbo'd and on the road in December 2005. Still haven't had the valve covers off the factory engine. I run around on 12 psi and if I go over that, I increase the octane. The key to my combo is that I am not greedy. Nothing on the car is "almost maxxed out". I have a big fuel pump, big fuel injectors, a big maf, low boost, high octane, low timing, rich air to fuel. There's no reason to be in the upper 11's for air to fuel on pump gas. I ran mine at 10.3 for years. I'm at 11.2 now but never had issues with it being rich. At 12psi, I make just under 600rwhp through my 4r70w and run easy 10.8's at that boost. It's plenty fast for farting around town. I treat myself to a tank of race gas and turn it up every now and then, but otherwise leave it alone.

I use the SCT PRP for tuning, but I have gotten help from KenB, James at RWTD, Eric Brooks, and Randy Haywood.

MTBSully

Established Member
Bone stock motor. Im on my 2nd season with it. First season at 650rwhp and this season at 805 on E85. No issues. I don't daily it, but I could. Just under 10k miles on the turbo setup and 48k on the car.

RussZTT

Established Member
Mine has been together for 6 yrs now. 17psi on 93 with no issues what so ever. At 19psi I put down 842rwhp.

HandBanana

Established Member
Interested in this as well. Been considering going TT as well over a TS set-up. I've had several big turbo cars before and I do like the efficiency of a TT set-up on a Cobra vs the power-sapping TS blower. Glad to hear that several of you are out there running around without major issues.

Users who are viewing this thread