How long to seal up rear cover?

DontGetBit

The Dynasty has begun....
Established Member
Well I got my BF read diff. brace about a month too late, because my rear cover is leaking or cracked. I am trying to pull some strings at Ford but it is not looking too good.

So how long does it take to properly seal the rear end with the IRS? Also, are there any tips on what type of seal to use to keep this from happening again.

I am sure that this nice BF brace will help keep it together this time around. :bash:

Azure Mach1

Established Member
I used a fel-pro gasket along with black high temp RTV. It took me about 5 hours to do the job as the diff needs to be removed.

Azure Mach1

Established Member
I use a fiber gasket usually from FelPro and silicone sealant togther. The reason is, IT WORKS!
If for some reason you break the silicone seal you can just tighten up the cover bolts and stop the leak. I have never had a leak using the gasket and sealant combination.
Paint a meadium coating of sealant on the housing and cover with the gasket sandwhiched in between and you won't have any leaks ever again.

mtl-biker

Established Member
Azure Mach1 said:
I use a fiber gasket usually from FelPro and silicone sealant togther. The reason is, IT WORKS!
If for some reason you break the silicone seal you can just tighten up the cover bolts and stop the leak. I have never had a leak using the gasket and sealant combination.
Paint a meadium coating of sealant on the housing and cover with the gasket sandwhiched in between and you won't have any leaks ever again.

Thanks its apreciate

Mario :coolman:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Azure Mach1 said:

Where do you get the gasket?

James

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
its not meant to use a gasket, and its even machined for a bead of rtv. and for that matter, most people even with a solid axle throw the gasket away and use a bead of rtv. so what does that tell ya?

i use black sensor safe rtv on just about everything requiring it.

Azure Mach1

Established Member
Shelbyguy;
Do what you want. Many here have had their coveres re-sealed with just RTV only to have them leak again. With a gasket I've never had one leak. Also, what harm would a gasket do? It's just an added measure for reliability.
And for matters sake, the Ford Motorsports rear gear change kit comes with a cover gasket. Do you think they give it to you because you don't need it?

Sharkster

Established Member
Im thinking about trying the fel-pro with RTV. When they put my 4:10 in they used the RTV only and its leaking around the bottom bold on the pumpkin. I dont think it was a clean surface when they applied it there. What are you all using to clean it off and keeps it clean while you apply?
There is some else that goes in with the fluid but cant think of the name of it? anyone help me out here? anti something.
Is stock fluid wt ok for 4:10's or does it matter?
It doesnt drip to the ground but it is catching the draft under the car and splattering it all over my rear bumper and rear trunk area.

Users who are viewing this thread