How long to warm up car at the track?

SNAKBYT

Established Member
What I did.

I have raced until retirement several NHRA classes from Bracket to Super Street to Super Gas to Super Comp. I always followed the same routine. Warm the car on jack stands, or if you don't use jack stands drive it around the pits until it comes up to temp, shut it down, place fans to blow ambient air though the radiator and into the engine compartment until you have no temp on the gauge. The fluids will still be warm when you run the car. Show it no mercy when you make your pass!
If however you are running many consecutive hot laps..cooling down the car will make no difference after warming it up. Run it at temperature. The name of the game is consistency. Get used to a routine during the burnout box to the launch. Prep the car and yourself same way, drive it the same way each pass. Make sure you stage the car the same way.
The cooler the engine and fuel supply the more HP you are going to make. Just go have fun with it!!:rockon:

Last edited:

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
I Trailer my car as well and follow the same routine.. I unload it, drive it to the top end of the race track, cruise it back to the staging lanes and i'm good to go. It gets the rear end fluid and trans fluid warm, and the coolant temp just starts to creap up.

Users who are viewing this thread