How Many COBRA Variations?

oxfordman03

In Denial
Established Member
Is the "SVT Mustang Cobra" name gone? Are all future Cobras going to carry the "Shelby" name? If not, how many Cobra variations are we likely to see and how would they be different?

orangesvtbb

Established Member
I was thinking they might put out a gt-350...maybe a regular mustang gt with the same ground effects and a little more performance than stock. I don't know though just thinking about why they started off with the big boy 500 label and skipped the 350

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
I agree. The next gen. GT will turn into a GT-350, with 350hp. 3 variants of the new Mustang I'm assuming.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I thought there was going to be a GT-350, GT-500, and a new SVT Cobra. Did Ford really decide to combine the GT-500 and Cobra? Anyone know for sure, not just speculation?

Cat Breath

Established Member
How about an aluminum block 5.4 in a factory stripper version and call it the GT500KR? Deleting radio, AC, rear seats, should offset some of the cost of the aluminum block. Make it around 3200 lbs and around $45k. I'd be in for sure. It would at least give us speed freaks a chance to have an exclusive Shelby (not because it would be cost prohibitive, but just because most GT500 buyers wouldn't want to sacrifice those creature comforts).

The 68 GT500KR (King of the Road for you Shelby newbs) didn't add much to the GT500 if I recall, just ram air, also changing the engine name from 428 cobra jet to 428 super cobra jet. But King of the Road, what a name!

Last edited:

RossSVT

Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
I thought there was going to be a GT-350, GT-500, and a new SVT Cobra. Did Ford really decide to combine the GT-500 and Cobra? Anyone know for sure, not just speculation?

You are correct. This car IS a SHELBY. NOT the new SVT COBRA. Be patient. It will come.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Cat Breath said:
The 68 GT500KR (King of the Road for you Shelby newbs) didn't add much to the GT500 if I recall, just ram air, also changing the engine name from 428 cobra jet to 428 super cobra jet. But King of the Road, what a name!

Alrite, I should know better than this, but here goes...

'68 GT500KR ("king of the road") was introduced mid-year of '68 and replaced the '68 GT500 when Ford released the 428CJ, which replaced the 4bbl 428 "P.I." (Police Interceptor? - correct me if i'm wrong on that). So basically the GT500's (w/428pi) stopped mid year n became GT500KR's (w/428cj), until '69 when the GT500's all came with the 428CJ.
The 428pi & 428CJ were same (similar?) blocks, but different heads (CJ were medium rise, iirc, taken from/based from 427 med rise heads). I think the pistons were different, and maybe the crank as well (both forged?).
I believe both the GT500 & GT500KR had Ram Air though.
The Drag Pack option gave u the "super cobra jet". First offered in '69 (rite?), u got taller gears (3.73 & 4.11's), an engine oil cooler, but not sure about the engine internal differences - can't recall.

Ok, fire away :coolman:

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
RossSVT said:
You are correct. This car IS a SHELBY. NOT the new SVT COBRA. Be patient. It will come.

Thank God! I can be a very patient man, I'm sure it will be worth it. I new Ford would not ditch the IRS Cobra. Happy days are here again!!!

RossSVT

Established Member
1999-COBRA-6661 said:
Thank God! I can be a very patient man, I'm sure it will be worth it. I new Ford would not ditch the IRS Cobra. Happy days are here again!!!

:thumbsup:

Paleoc

Established Member
428SCJ vs 428CJ

"The Drag Pack option gave u the "super cobra jet". First offered in '69 (rite?), u got taller gears (3.73 & 4.11's), an engine oil cooler, but not sure about the engine internal differences - can't recall."

I can speak to this as I used to own a 69 Fairlane Cobra with a 428SCJ. Externally there were a few differences. The SCJ had an oil cooler, the CJ did not. The CJ had a belt driven smog pump, the SCJ did not have one. The hood scoop on my car was functional with a vacuum operated flapper on top of the air cleaner. Internally, the differences became greater. The SCJ had stronger main caps with different, stronger bolts. It had adjustable hydraulic pushrods which was kind of weird (I don't know what the standard CJ used but my 390's with the basic same block all had plain jane hydraulic lifters and pushrods and I suspect the 428CJ was the same as the the 390's). It had adjusting screws on the rockers like you would find with a solid lifter setup, but the tappets were definitely hydraulic. The pushrods had a cup on one end where the adjusting screw fit and a rounded ball end on the other end where they fit into the tappet. It had a higher lift and longer duration cam than the standard CJ. It had a different fuel pump. A standard cobra jet fuel pump would not fit due to the different cam shaft, I know I tried. I ended up having to put in a Holley fuel pump as the SCJ fuel pump was no longer available. It had a much larger drive spline 1 1/4" vs 3/4" for the standard CJ so it required a different clutch (I ended up having to use a strip clutch as the 500ft lbs of torque destroyed standard clutches in literally a matter of days). I had my car in the shop once at the same time as a mustang with a standard 428CJ engine and the drive spline on the mustang looked puny compared to the one on mine. It also had a beefier drive shaft and universal joints. Obviously there was quite a bit more power being put out to require all the extra heavy duty parts.

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
RossSVT said:

actually I beleive you are wrong. Ford is calling this the SVT shelby mustang cobra GT500. They have said nothing about making an SVT only Cobra and the expected price is going to be near the current cobra so I don't see how they have room for another cobra other than the shelby. The only thing i see room for is maybe a specialty model or two like the Mach 1 and Bullet

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I hope that hes not wrong. I see a place for a SVT Cobra with IRS :D IMO Ford should keep the 450hp GT-500, add a 350hp N/A GT-350 with IRS option and have an SVT Cobra inbetween them both with different body styling. :D

But I'm probably just dreaming.

03reptile

Established Member
I spoke with Mark at SVT a few days ago and he advised that there would only be the Shelby SVT Cobra GT500 and that they had decided to deep six the IRS because of additional weight, additional cost, and that they felt it did not offer that signifigant an advantage over the IRS. He said there are no plans for a stand alone Mustang Cobra like our current cars. So.....I guess if we want a new car we'll have to settle for the GT500. He also advised there was no set price yet, but felt it would be marginally more expensive then the current Cobra. I will be ordering one as I think it is a big improvement over our cars even though I will miss having the IRS.

oxfordman03

In Denial
Established Member
So , SVT will have their finger in every "special" Mustang to come? SVT "Parneli Jones" Mach I, SVT "McQueen" Bullit, SVT "Dan Gurnney" 5.0 Cammer, SVT "insert your name here" Lightning ect. ect. The Cobra name is being diluted once again. I now know why the owners of the real Cobras (you know, the original 2 seater) get so upset about the Mustang sharing their name. I love Carrol Shelby and all he has given us, but he had about as much to do with the design of the '07 as I did. In the future when you say you have a new Cobra you will be asked, "what kind?" Rant-rant-rant. I will be glad when the dust settles on this one.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
DUDEZ OMG TEH N3W C0BRA ZUCKZ CAUS3 1T HAS T3H SH3LBY NAM3!!!!!!!!!
cmon, A CAR IS A CAR PEOPLE!!!! i could care less about a name(or if my car has 2 seats and the same name comes back with 4 seats).

force recon

Established Member
Why is everyone so crazy on the cobra name on our cars they are about as far from a real cobra as you could get!!! It is almost embarassing to have that name on the car. i am sure the real cobra owners laugh there a@% off every time they see a mustang with the name on it. i have even replaced the rear bumper on my car to a mustang one. A real COBRA is a go-kart on steroids a close friend has a 66 427 car CSX ---- if you have ever rode in one you know what i am talking obout. just wanted to put my .02 in

recon out happy easter

Users who are viewing this thread