How Many Do You Want?

WVTrakPak

Established Member
a Tiger! Grumman's little speed machine, designed by Jim Bede. She's a beauty! Definitely try to avoid the edges of the air! (For the edges of the air are filled with all manner of things woeful to aircraft. Things like land, water, trees. Buildings. Very large rocks. Avoid the edges of the air!)

Also, probably self evident, but just in case it wasn't: I am TOTALLY jealous of that airplane! You can cruise at at 170Kt in that, can't you? Or is it 180Kt? I hate you!

Thank you very much, I do love my Tiger and yes she is fast for a 180hp old plane but not 170kt fast. I cruize at about 120kt airspeed, and if I get some favorable wind, it really hums. I did hit 180mph according to flight following in the dark, trying to get down to pattern altitude, once. I hope to upgrade the cowling and add a few speed mods as time goes on, but I think I am set for a while as she does what I need very economically. And the canopy............I love the canopy.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The A6 was seemingly built by the last remnants of the WWII Aviation engineers it seems. Over built, rugged beyond what it needed to be and reliable. For as long as they served, both the A6 from active combat to reserve role and the EA-6B Prowler (entered the fleet in 1971, retired in 2019) they served remarkably well.

I know I sure as hell wouldnt want one making an attack run on me lol.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to have a chance to be on a carrier when they launch a jet (new, old, I don’t care) off a catapult.

I’d have wood and hearing damage from the same experience.

Much like when I’m giving it to the old lady.

(Well, maybe not that last part)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I would love to have a chance to be on a carrier when they launch a jet (new, old, I don’t care) off a catapult.

Its awesome dude...i mean awesome.
Only thing close is being on the starting line between two top fuel cars

Its especially cool when they have 4 acft at tension and launch em in pairs

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

How often did the one cat that is farthest to port was used as it didn't seem there was a whole lot of room between it and the edge of the angled deck. The other three yeah you had some real estate for an aircraft to use under them.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
How often did the one cat that is farthest to port was used as it didn't seem there was a whole lot of room between it and the edge of the angled deck. The other three yeah you had some real estate for an aircraft to use under them.

More room than you think

This video gives a pretty good perspective of how big that deck really is

01yellercobra

Established Member

That's one of the main things I miss about being in. I used to spend hours in the crows nest watching air ops. And when an F-14 went into tension you could feel it in your chest. And the carrier breaks when they were coming back were awesome to see.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
That's one of the main things I miss about being in. I used to spend hours in the crows nest watching air ops. And when an F-14 went into tension you could feel it in your chest. And the carrier breaks when they were coming back were awesome to see.

Thats bad ass.

I assume when you guys mean in tension, the wire was in tension and the aircraft was near full power?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Thats bad ass.

I assume when you guys mean in tension, the wire was in tension and the aircraft was near full power?
Yeah. It's right before the guy pushes the button to release the catapult. Think of it like watching a turbo car going on the two step. You can see it getting ready to go and it's noisy as hell.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah. It's right before the guy pushes the button to release the catapult. Think of it like watching a turbo car going on the two step. You can see it getting ready to go and it's noisy as hell.

Thats what I thought.

I bet it’s all kind of wild.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yeah man...vultures row was my perch

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

When i got my one and only shot off the deck the cod was angry as **** at wot at tension lol...thing was shakin and buckin like a pissed off bull lol...then it hard Gs and when went off the deck it felt like wr spiked the brakes lol...rotate and off we went lol

01yellercobra

Established Member
When i got my one and only shot off the deck the cod was angry as **** at wot at tension lol...thing was shakin and buckin like a pissed off bull lol...then it hard Gs and when went off the deck it felt like wr spiked the brakes lol...rotate and off we went lol
I got one cat and one trap in my time in. It's definitely one of those things you have to go through to fully understand.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I got one cat and one trap in my time in. It's definitely one of those things you have to go through to fully understand.
Yup...same here 1 trap and 1 cat...and ill never forget them

Had i known that would been the last time i rode a carrier i woulda done a thing or two differently

Damn that was north of 20 years ago lol..makes me miss my buddies...back when the Navy was a lot of fun

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The trap is what never ceases to amaze me. Throw any airplane fast enough, it'll fly. That's just physics and aerodynamics. Trim it out right, the pilot probably doesn't even have to do anything. The landing, though? Holy crap. Managing the speed of the ship, the speed of the planes, the speed of the wind, and don't even get me started if it's stormy, and night time, and even the carrier is pitching with the waves. Four wires, and they always want the number three, right? My hat will always be off to the pilots who bring their birds in on sunny, calm days because even then everything is working against you. The ones that can do it at night, in a storm? That's some amazing flying skill, there. And for another pilot to go up, to try and bring in a guy having trouble? Seriously, those guys must clank when they walk.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
The trap is what never ceases to amaze me. Throw any airplane fast enough, it'll fly. That's just physics and aerodynamics. Trim it out right, the pilot probably doesn't even have to do anything. The landing, though? Holy crap. Managing the speed of the ship, the speed of the planes, the speed of the wind, and don't even get me started if it's stormy, and night time, and even the carrier is pitching with the waves. Four wires, and they always want the number three, right? My hat will always be off to the pilots who bring their birds in on sunny, calm days because even then everything is working against you. The ones that can do it at night, in a storm? That's some amazing flying skill, there. And for another pilot to go up, to try and bring in a guy having trouble? Seriously, those guys must clank when they walk.

Lest we forget the deck is angled(10.5 degrees iirc)...and those cables are only 20ft apart

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Lest we forget the deck is angled(10.5 degrees iirc)...and those cables are only 20ft apart
I always wondered how that conversation went, when they first told the pilots. "OK, listen up. We had a great idea. We're going to angle the deck, so you come in sideways."

"What? The ship goes sideways, so the landing zone is going straight?"

"Nope! Ain't it just the greatest thing you ever heard of? Now landing will be even easier and you guys won't ever mess up the ship by crashing in to it."

The pilots confer amnongst themselves a few moments, then ask the Captain: "Sir, who thought this up?"

"Ensign Carl."

"Is Ensign Carl available?"

Users who are viewing this thread