How many miles before....

jason1320

Established Member
How many miles would you put on a new cobra motor before using the predator 93 octane tune? before adding a pulley? before adding nitrous?

I'm only intrested in the tune right now. I had bought the tuner when I had 15,000 miles on my car, now the motor has 23 and I don't want to damage it.

Thanks,

hj16

Established Member
If the motor is under warranty still I wouldnt touch it until about 2000miles. In the first 2000miles most problems the motor has will arise.

x14

Established Member
I used the Predator on my car before it even reached 3,000 miles. You can use the Predator's Performance Tune any time. I would hold of the other stuff until after 3,000 miles.

ModsAway

Established Member
I can't even follow the way you posted you question and the current mileage on your car so the above is good advice.

Wait a couple thousand then let her rip if thats what you decide.

jason1320

Established Member
Sorry for the confussion. I had 15,000 miles on 03 cobra, then I had the motor replaced. It now has 23 miles on it. I just wanted to know how long I should wait before using the Predator I bought back before I had the work done.

Thanks,

Last edited:

sedanman

Established Member
If you don't mind me asking what led to the old motors failure, was it modded? Did you have problems getting them to honor the warranty?

jason1320

Established Member
I bought the car used with 3,000 miles on it, got it at carmax and there were no problems. About 5,000 miles later it started puffing blue smoke on startup. It didn't happen everytime, but it happened often enough and got more frequent. By the time I got to 15,000 miles it was happening every cold start. So I took it to ford and they kept it overnight to verify that it only happened on cold start. They then asked me to drive it 1000 miles without so much as touching the oil or pulling out the dipstick. They found out that it was using a lot of oil and did a compression test. The number one cylinder would not hold compression when the motor was cold. Only when oil started to flow would it have enough compression to fire. At that point ford decided that they were going to replace or repair the motor under warranty, there was no fussing. Two days later they decided that a replace would be cheaper. It took them two weeks to ship out the motor and one day to put it in. I would like to note that the old motor was built 08/02 and the ticking noise that five different "experts " told me was injectors is not present in this new motor. I believe that noise was "the tick". The motor runs alot smoother and pulls allot harder too. Total bill was $23,000 and I didn't pay a dime. I still have 1 year or 17,000 miles left on the warranty too.

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
wow...that kinda sux

does that now mean that your car is worthless (if they end up being collectables) as a total package being that it isnt all original??

23,000 for what?? the motor?? the motor itself i believe is only worth about 13-14k...7k for the engine and another 6-6.5k for the supercharger and componenets.

PS..to answer your question...i would wait till about 1500 miles at least...and perform an oil change about 500 miles prior.

jason1320

Established Member
I wondered about that too, but I don't think it makes that big of a deal. One, because I love driving it so much that it will be warn out long before its worth anything and two someone would have to look pretty hard because I had them put the original head covers back on. (Not to be shady, but because the crate motor was a little banged up when I got it.)

The motor was about 13,000. They replaced the WHOLE motor, blower and all. The rest I guess was for shipping and labor. I didn't really care to look at the details because I wasn't paying for it. :beer:

04TRCobra

KING
Established Member
LOL...yea i guess i wouldnt care either if i didnt pay..

great that they took care of you. nice touch putting the covers back on from the original.

Yea...i bet mine will have alot of miles too before its worth anything.

I keep feeling guilty everytime i drive it somewhere because im putting miles on but then again...if i put down 22k and took out a 16-17k loan...why would i pay for it to sit in the garage...(im only 20)

im sure as much as i like the car and want to keep the miles off....im not going to have it forever..so i guess ill stop feeling guilty about driving it!

jason1320

Established Member
I used mine as a daily driver while I was in MD. I put about 8000 miles on it in six months. Then I drove it to TX, another 1500 miles. Right now it has about 15000 miles on it. I bought another car to drive to work, but anywhere else I go in my cobra. The movies, the store, (not the mall, not enough trunk space for my wifes crap!), but anywhere else. I love to drive that car! Hell I'm paying almost $620 a month for it I should.

(I traded my 02 GT that was way upside down, and even the down payment that I made didn't make a dent in the payment. It's a lot of money, but well worth it to drive this car!) The good news it that I am about 2 payments away from having equity in the car. (...for now)

Users who are viewing this thread