How many miles on new Cobra

sapper

Established Member
How many miles should the Band Spanking New Cobra have on it after the dealer is done prepping it?

I would think 5 to 10 miles should be on the odomiter. Yet I see some people posting that their cars have 30 or so. Thats messed up!:cuss:
You know them dealer sales and tech personnel are going out and giving the car a joy ride.:gt:

The cars should all have about the same miles on it from the factory. So how much should the dealer put on for prep?
If anyone knows, post it here.
I would think with this info you could demand that your dealer makes sure the car didnt exceed this mileage. Make them agree, or expect a car thats been horse wipped out the gate by people that know they ain't going to own it.

Undy

Established Member
I think you'll find out that during the long "Quality" hold Ford had on these initially that a lot of "test" driving was done at the plant/holding lot. The subsequant cars being built after the hold should have less miles on them, hopefully..

hantzis

Established Member
I talked to Jason today at SVT. He told me the mileage from the plant can range from 5-20miles, sometimes even more.

The dealer receives money from Ford for servicing and doing a quality test on the cars when they first come in. He said you can ask them not to touch it, or at least only do the tests on their property and not to take it out on the road.

He said there are situations where cars have to be tested longer at the plant because of various reasons, but there will be information sent explaining why the car shipped with a higher # of miles on it.

YellowSnake

Established Member
When I picked up my 01 Cobra last year in November, the odometer read 3.2 miles. So as far as I'm concerned, anything over 5 miles means that it was "test" driven by WTF knows. 30 miles is WAY over what anyone should expect from car ordered from the factory. I don't expect the 03 until the first of next month, and if it arrives with that kind of milage on it I will be pissed. :fm:

As far as giving the dealership an untimatum - Naw, I'll deal with the problem if/when it presents itself. The subsequant cars being built after the hold should be more in line with the 01 experience I had... if not, then it's gonna be an "interesting" day at the dealership.

I think I will do as hantzis suggests... relay my concerns to the dealership before the car arrives and also ask that the car not be test driven until I arrive and can ride shotgun.

Last edited:

Black Cobra

Established Member
I think I will do as hantzis suggests... relay my concerns to the dealership before the car arrives and also ask that the car not be test driven until I arrive and can ride shotgun.

Correction, they can ride shotgun while you test drive the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread