How many of you?

BlackSunshine02

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone else gets a cold start belt noise from their termie? I have a 4lb lower and a 3.1 upper with a steeda idler kit and it makes a chirp cold that drives me nuts. Some guy ( who I think is an idiot) told me they all do it with aftermarket pulleys. Not buying his bs, I figured I'd ask. I will be fixing this problem soon as I think it is the lower pulley a c-hair too far forward. Thanks and by the way, great site!!

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
I may have a similar problem. elaborate on the "chirp". is it constant or just a quick one timer on initial starup?

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
It is almost definately the belt. I had a Gates belt that did the exact same thing. I switched back to a Gatorback and the noise went away. It is possible it could be a pulley bearing but if you just put on brand new pullies it is most likely not them.

Good luck,
Ryan

BlackSunshine02

Established Member
thx for the help, I was leaning toward the belt as well. I have a Motorcraft belt on it and its a c-hair on the tight side anyway. I'll try the gatorback. I still think my lower is out, looking from under the car the belt appears to be tracking outward ever so slightly.

Last edited:

bigmoose

Established Member
i have the same exact problem. i'll try changing the belt also and let you know how it works out.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Yup.....I've had the start up belt noise for awhile. Spray a little silicon on the belt and it goes right away. But, it's usually gone within 2 to 3 minutes anyway.

04gtstang

Established Member
Crap mine just did this today after fireing it back up for the first time (refinished my port work on the blower :D ). I thought it was a bearing....I was thinking either front drive (didnt sound like it was coming from there) or an idle bearing getting dry. After a minute or so it went away. It was just a chirp that would happen every couple seconds or less. My belt is about 12 or more K miles old though.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Make sure that lower is on all the way, before buying any placebo belt replacements.

Pulley mis-alignment can cause other problems too.

The pulley alignment should be dead on straight. If it's not, make sure it gets fixed.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread