How much boost can you run on pump gas 93?

ToddEdge

Established Member
Memphis has no E85 so, I'm stuck with 93 for now. I'm going in for a tune next week and curious what the safe limits of 93 are, assuming I'm not running lean and I don't get crazy with timing? I'd like to tune on 93 and possibly add Torco as a safety measure in the event I get a bad tank of gas.

Thanks,
Todd

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Safe limits?? 18psi and about 18-20 degrees of timing on a 8:5.1 compression motor and it not having insane IAT's..

This is information that I've gathered from several of the best tuners in the country :)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It's not very safe.. They retard the timing to compensate.. One bad tank of gas and it could pop. Every tuner is different. 20psi and 16 degrees of timing will make similar power to 18psi and 18-19 degrees of timing..

Here is how I see it too. The computer is going to pull timing at a certain point or Temp..

Boost doesn't retard.. It will always boost 20psi..

cdnstang

604 modulars
Established Member
Personally, i stick to 16-17lbs on 93 oct. Any more boost i dont feel comfortable on pump like someone said earlier, one bad tank of gas and kaboom. Torco or lucas octane booster does work, which is a cheaper alteranative. I always have seem to found the car feelers stronger with low boost and more timing than say higher boost and less timing. But thats jmo.

:beer:

scottGT500

Established Member
OP: you getting a Dynospeed tune? My '04 is up there for a rxt clutch and headers...gotta wait 500 miles to break the clutch in then the 2.9 goes on! I am with you on what boost...a fellow memphian just laid down 674whp on 93 with 20.5psi...I am not sure if I want that much...but would be very fun!

ToddEdge

Established Member
OP: you getting a Dynospeed tune? My '04 is up there for a rxt clutch and headers...gotta wait 500 miles to break the clutch in then the 2.9 goes on! I am with you on what boost...a fellow memphian just laid down 674whp on 93 with 20.5psi...I am not sure if I want that much...but would be very fun!

I'm still trying to decide where I'm going to get it tuned. I've worked with Joe Beegle for years at Dynospeed but, understand he's out of the game now so, not sure who is tuning. I know John is still up there doing all the installs and he does great work. I'm just going to make a few pulls on Friday to see where the car is at. I bought it local from a guy and it came with dyno sheets and videos making 601/564 at 18#'s. It has a 3.0" pulley and I think it is going to make right at 20#'s, especially in this cool air.

What headers did you go with? I have a set of MAC in the box that I can't decide if I'll install or possibly go Kooks.

Todd

scottGT500

Established Member
I'm still trying to decide where I'm going to get it tuned. I've worked with Joe Beegle for years at Dynospeed but, understand he's out of the game now so, not sure who is tuning. I know John is still up there doing all the installs and he does great work. I'm just going to make a few pulls on Friday to see where the car is at. I bought it local from a guy and it came with dyno sheets and videos making 601/564 at 18#'s. It has a 3.0" pulley and I think it is going to make right at 20#'s, especially in this cool air.

What headers did you go with? I have a set of MAC in the box that I can't decide if I'll install or possibly go Kooks.

Todd

I am with you @Joe. He was the ford man all the way! This will be my 5th car for dynospeed directly or indirectly. I got BBK with o/r H. I have never played the this header vs that header game. bbk was very inexpensive but good nonetheless. If I give up only 10hp and 10 tq and save $1000...you get my point. I have spent enough $$ on the 2.9, return style fuel system, clutch and whatever else...

stangfreak

Established Member
I was running 19lbs of boost when I had a 2.3 whipple. 93 octane tune. No problems at all and had a damn blast

stangfreak

Established Member
Joey at mustang magic is the man. He knows his shit. Just look at the east coast track rentals and the cars he tunes;-)

nycarpenter

Established Member
I ran 19 psi 19 degrees of timing but threw in 16oz of torco with 10 gallons of fuel. Hot days I had a second tune with 17 degrees. I figured better safe then sorry.....

Users who are viewing this thread