How much boost to run with my new whipple, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!

realaxed83

Established Member
I have a few more supporting mods to get and then I'll be putting on the whipple. I haven't bought a pulley yet though because I'm stuck between getting a pulley for 17 or 19psi. Like everyone else I want the most power I can safely make, while still running on pump gas. I know thats greedy but what can I say. I know I will either be running 17psi with a fairly agressive tune or 19psi with a conservative tune(less timing)......my question is which is the better choice. I'm hoping someone who has run their car both ways will chime in. I don't really want to buy two pullies to find out but I would love to know the difference in power and driveability(if any). Any and all opinions are welcome but please explain your recommendation. I'll list my mods below in case that makes a difference. I'm hoping for 600/600. Thanks guys.

-accufab tb/plenum
-sct 2800 maf
-sct xcal2
-bap w/ 60's
-full idlers w/ aux tensioner
-bbk lt's, o/r H and crapmaster cb
-315 bfg dr's
-irs brace/poly bushings
-k&n fipk
-lfp h/e & h/e reservoir

I have the other little stuff--full lenth sfc, shifter...ect, but I think thats all the power stuff.:rockon:

realaxed83

Established Member
I think I've finally decided to go with 17psi and see where I end up. Hopefully it makes enough power where I don't feel the instant need to turn it up:)

Ironhand

Banned
19PSi with a fairly good tune should give you a shade over 600/600. But it all depends on the tune. It would be hard on 17PSI to get to 600/600 without a really aggresive tune. But try this. 3.0 upper pulley, and Metco 2lb lower, about 18-19lbs of boost, you'll be almost right on the money for your 600/600. The lower will help get back some of your torque..

If you had Sam @ Coastal down here tune your car, I know he could get 600/600 +/- about 5 hp/tq.. That's how well I know the setup..

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Ironhand said:
19PSi with a fairly good tune should give you a shade over 600/600. But it all depends on the tune. It would be hard on 17PSI to get to 600/600 without a really aggresive tune. But try this. 3.0 upper pulley, and Metco 2lb lower, about 18-19lbs of boost, you'll be almost right on the money for your 600/600. The lower will help get back some of your torque..

If you had Sam @ Coastal down here tune your car, I know he could get 600/600 +/- about 5 hp/tq.. That's how well I know the setup..
Thats what i was thinking actully. How hard is it to do the lower pulley. I was told its a B1tch and a half.

Also what would a 3.25 and 2lb lower make? 17-18lbs?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread