How much does the heavier weight of the 19"/20" vs 18" wheel/tire affect 1/4 mile?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
The weight of the wheel is only half the battle. the other main concern is the gearing. There could be a massive difference I'm what part of the power band you cross the line depending on tire height and gearing. Not to mention the difference in drag radial price and wall stiffness.

Voltwings

Established Member
The very rough rule of thumb is losing 1 lb of rotational mass is equivalent to 4 lbs of dead weight. Basically, and again this is very rough, if you were able to shave 6.25 lbs off each corner (25 total) you'd be running as quick as taking 100 lbs of dead weight out; or about 1/10th quicker.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
That is more of a road course deal becsuse what's important there is the unsprung weight difference. On a drag strip is not as noticeable as a road course where you need the suspension to react as fast as possible. I thi k that tire diameter is the killer at the strip.

Felix C

Established Member
Thanks everyone. I meant the 2015 Mustangs, base with OEM 18"s vs. PP with 19" or the optional 20" wheel. Factory tires. Did not know if the GT with base wheels would be noticeably quicker than a larger wheel/tire one.

Last edited:

Felix C

Established Member
I read where one fellow took a PP package and weighed the 19" wheel tire combo.

The front PP wheel/tire weighs 60.5lb

The rear PP wheel/tire weighs 64lb

Seems that would attrition some power as does the IRS. 2-piece driveshaft?

Voltwings

Established Member
The current PP wheel / tire combo is right around 60 lbs a corner, so it seems like a wash (as far as weight is concerned) in this case.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Usually the overall diameter is the same for all factory combinations, they just play with the aspect ratio to get it close.

Users who are viewing this thread