How much for a 96 cobra engine

Black96vert

Established Member
Hey guys,

Planning on buying another 96 cobra engine to forge and put a supercharger on. I already have a 96 cobra but want to keep my original engine stock and I do not want to do everything at once mainly.

Questions:

What is a good price for a 96 cobra engine. To include block, heads, intake.

Does anyone have one or know someone that has one for sale.

What are some good places to buy one besides craigslist and ebay.

Any suggestions

Thanks

98fourvalve

Established Member
Prices kind of vary. If you want to forge one I'd pick up one with a spun rod for 1000ish. Kind of depends on if you can find one or not. I've seen them go from 800-2500 lately depending on exactly what it is and the condition. I recently just sold a 96 cobra longblock with no intake or anything. just heads and shortblock for 1200. just kind of depends on supply and demand. Hope that helps.

Last I saw there was one here in Indianapolis on craigslist for 1200 obo i believe but with you being so far away I'd be skeptical of craigslist deals without actually being here.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I'm under the assumption that you know what you're doing and that you want a used block but...

If you have the clam for a new longblock...
2003-04 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 4V Ford Racing "Aluminiator" Long Block For Forced Induction Applications, M-6007-A46sc at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Da danana!

Meh 8.5:1 is weak.

OP, I'd check here on svtp sometimes things come up that surprise you. I don't think there is anything wrong with Craigslist. As long as you aren't in a rush I would take your time. I'd get a longblock and have it all redone and rebuilt - sounds like the best option to me too. Sorry I'm not actually sure about going rates though.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
If you're going to build it for boost anyway, just buy a block from anywhere and start getting C head stuff for it. 2500 is on the high complete side of things. You should be able to find a complete C head setup for that price.

Black96vert

Established Member
Thanks for all the help

You guys have been very helpful.

Thanks 98fourvalve for craigslist ad. It is about 1000 miles away but I am still going to investigate it since it is so cheap.

1997-2004 4.6 FORD MOTOR

What kind of questions would you guys ask.
I know the obvious stuff. Maybe is it forged, is there any damage internally or externally. How many miles and what year did it come from. How long has it been sitting. A lot of this doesn't matter since I am going to have a shop rebuild it from the ground up. Here is another question. How would I send this guy the money and get it shipped without getting ripped off. I have a paypal account but that doesn't really guarantee anything either. How would I ship and any guesses on how much. He says OBO. How much should I offer him. Seems like a good price already but there is always a better price.

Thanks DVJ38. I knew about stuff for sale on the forum but did not realize the potential so I will check for engines for sale on a regular basis on here.

Thanks SN95FTW for that web-site. Looks very useful.

Thanks guys,

Keep it coming.

venomouscobra98

Established Member
MPSautosalvage.com has motors for 2800 and they supposedly have been tested! I've bought lots of parts for my V6 car from them, they treated me really well!

98fourvalve

Established Member
You guys have been very helpful.

Thanks 98fourvalve for craigslist ad. It is about 1000 miles away but I am still going to investigate it since it is so cheap.

1997-2004 4.6 FORD MOTOR

What kind of questions would you guys ask.
I know the obvious stuff. Maybe is it forged, is there any damage internally or externally. How many miles and what year did it come from. How long has it been sitting. A lot of this doesn't matter since I am going to have a shop rebuild it from the ground up. Here is another question. How would I send this guy the money and get it shipped without getting ripped off. I have a paypal account but that doesn't really guarantee anything either. How would I ship and any guesses on how much. He says OBO. How much should I offer him. Seems like a good price already but there is always a better price.

Thanks DVJ38. I knew about stuff for sale on the forum but did not realize the potential so I will check for engines for sale on a regular basis on here.

Thanks SN95FTW for that web-site. Looks very useful.

Thanks guys,

Keep it coming.

Just by looking I can answer some for you. What it came out of was a 98 Cobra. It has the 98 style smog setup on the front. If it were me I'd ask what all extras he would throw in with the motor. Like the more desirable 98 ecu, maybe the cluster if he has it, etc. Just stuff to sweeten it for you so you can flip some and get some cash back if you don't need the extras.

It's been on craigs for a bit and he's lowered his price a few times. Definitely ask him why it's out of a vehicle and if he can to get you pictures from underneath with the oil pan off and under the valve covers. If I were buying a motor it'd be a requirement for me to see under those. Also, just to be safe about it double check the flywheel and make sure its the 8 bolt from the back and have him check for the counterweights on it from under the pan. I sell stuff from time to time and the more thorough the pictures are it's easier for me and the buyer.

Based on the bad picture it looks like whoever had it took decent care of it or it was cleaned pretty good though probably sitting for a little while. Those valve covers look better than mine do and I try and take care of it though it's a DD car.

As far as shipping and paying the guy. I'd see if he's a forum member. and if he is look at his trader rating for your peace of mind. Ya never know. If he is not. You may be able to find someone local off the forum to go through as a middle man kind of thing. Adding a third person to the mix isn't preferable but normally fellow forum members are willing to help a fellow member. He's pretty far from me and I've never had to ship anything that big so I wouldn't know where to take it to although I've heard greyhound will do it pretty cheap to your nearest terminal. And a shipping estimate I'd guess 2-300? maybe?

If you can get it for a deal even after shipping you got your money's worth.

Also, have him check the passenger side of the block and see if it's a ford reman block.

MPSautosalvage.com has motors for 2800 and they supposedly have been tested! I've bought lots of parts for my V6 car from them, they treated me really well!

And I personally would never do that for a motor to be rebuilt anyway. 1 they are over priced. 2 that is not the engine your getting in the picture. That is generic. and that much money for unknown mileage is insane. And they could have either of the years and you may need one from 96-97 or 98. Small differences are a pain if you don't have the stuff to swap to what you need. Trust me.

Sorry for the book btw.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
I wouldn't pay more than $1k for a complete 96-98 Cobra core. The price in the CL ad seems right on the money.

And Ryan is right. If you plan on getting a complete rotating assembly and chaning the heads, the Mark engine is a better idea.

Last edited:

Black96vert

Established Member
Mark 8 or cobra motor

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info. I am not very knowlegable on the B head to C head conversion. I know they flow better but is it worth the battle. I do not want to make the swap any harder than it already is. I am trying to think of what would be my advantage as to going with the mark VIII engine and the C heads vs a 96 to 98 cobra motor. Is it just another 15hp. Wouldn't this be harder to install in my cobra instead of just dropping in another cobra motor. Do ya'll think it is worth it for me to go that route or just stick with the original plan of a 96-98 cobra motor forged and boosting it.

Thanks again,

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I can get you an engine from a Mark VIII, complete (valve covers to oil pan), without intake manifold. If you're interested, PM me.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Do not buy a running cobra engine as it will cost you a buttload of cash. If you're looking for an engine to build, buy a mark 8 longblock and a cobra crank. You can get both for around $600 total.

Users who are viewing this thread