How much horsepower is gained per pound of boost?

a_and_f_model

Established Member
Gonna get some pullys but haven't decided what to get yet. Was wondering about how much horsepower will you pick up per pound of boost added? Billetflow says thier 2.93 will add 5-6 lbs...

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
silentbullitt said:
I think it's around 12 horses for every pound of boost.

I don't think it's quite that high. That would mean that my 2.93" gave me about 50-55 RWHP. So w/ just a pulley a Cobra would have around 425 RWHP. Would be nice, but I'm not sure... Pulley are great ways to boost that power up though!

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Venomous01 said:
Depends are we talking eaton, twin screw or turbo? Each one yields more power per lb of boost from what I have seen.

Not sure, but I assumed he was talking Eaton. How about the different gains w/ the different blowers? Twin-Screw, Eaton, Centrifugal???

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
SIr RicCuS said:
Not sure, but I assumed he was talking Eaton. How about the different gains w/ the different blowers? Twin-Screw, Eaton, Centrifugal???
I figured he was talking eaton, but I kind of wanted to throw out that there are differences on each power adder.

I would think (depending on mods) 8-12rwhp on an eaton 12-20rwhp on a twin screw and maybe 20-30rwhp+ (maybe more) on a turbo.... per lb.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
Venomous01 said:
I figured he was talking eaton, but I kind of wanted to through out that there are differences on each power aders.

I would think (depending on mods) 8-12rwhp on an eaton 12-20rwhp on a twin screw and maybe 20-30rwhp+ (maybe more) on a turbo.... per lb.

I love turbo's... Just give me 28psi on a good TT kit & we'll call it a day!

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
On my 94 TT Supra it was about 12HP per lb with the stock turbos. I'm sure its a little less with the eaton.:(

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Have talked to some reputable tuners on this and according to most, typical roots-style inrcreases are 10 RWHP+/-, twin screws are 12 RWHP +/-, and Turbo setups are 20 RWHP+/-......gotta love the elimination of parasitic losses with the turbo setup!!!

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Pete's 03 said:
On my 94 TT Supra it was about 12HP per lb with the stock turbos. I'm sure its a little less with the eaton.:(
Yes but we are talking Cobra motors and adders not the supra motor and adders.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I gained 23 hp by going from 15 psi to 17 psi on a Whipple though. I did richen up the A/F .4 across the baord for added safety.

So, yes, about 12 hp is right on for a Whipple. If I had left the a/f at 11.8 instead of 11.4 it may have been worth a couple more ponies.

-Jeff

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I gained 23 hp by going from 15 psi to 17 psi on a Whipple though. I did richen up the A/F .4 across the baord for added safety.

So, yes, about 12 hp is right on for a Whipple. If I had left the a/f at 11.8 instead of 11.4 it may have been worth a couple more ponies.

-Jeff

So that proves to be pretty damn accurate! Thanks! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread