How much hp can rearend and transmission handle?

Jsak

Established Member
Right now I have a 02 camaro ss with full bolt ons and a 3400 stall. I was considering on getting a 03 cobra. I need some info before If decide to buy one. If I want to do full bolt-ons, pulley, ported supercharger, and a tune, which would give me 500rwhp. Will I have to upgrade anything before it can handle the power because I know the motor is forged and the rearend is also.

MidnightRambler

Established Member
I believe that you'll probably want full length subframe connectors and an IRS brace for added strength. The ford 8.8 rear is very tough, but with the IRS wheelhop is a real concern and can destroy the rear end if you try running DR's at the strip...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
There are tons of Cobras out there pushing 500+ RWHP with very few mods to the drive-train. The only few things I can think of that are commonly replaced for preventative reasons are the clutch and input shaft. Other than that a dif brace, full length subs and drag radials are a must for even a stock Cobra in my opinion.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
but with the IRS wheelhop is a real concern and can destroy the rear end if you try running DR's at the strip...
It will hop with any wheel, but less with a drag radial than with a standard street tire. Best bet would be a beefy slick, it will absorb the shock and hopefully keep her planted.

Boost-a-pump, boost-a-sensor-, pulleys, port and some otherwise basic bolt ons with a tune will land you well into the 500's, more if you go for stuff like headers and the stage 5 port... some guys are seeing mid 500's without trouble. Hell, you can even shoot a little 75 shot through it and still be plenty safe on the engine.

Your clutch will eventually quit as you push the envelope and your input shaft may break. For safety a bigger intercooler and a head cooling mod.

The rear end will be okay handling the power so long as it is the power only... its a very strong rear end, but keep it from hopping or its gonna break. Best resolution is better bushings and good tires.

MidnightRambler

Established Member
I'd just like to add that it's possible to produce 500rwhp without any fuel system mods. I've been pushing 518rwhp for two years with the stock fuel system with no problems whatsoever. Bigger injectors, boost-a-pump, etc. are still good mods for added safety though, and if you go much higher than 500rwhp they will become a necessity...

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'd just like to add that it's possible to produce 500rwhp without any fuel system mods. I've been pushing 518rwhp for two years with the stock fuel system with no problems whatsoever. Bigger injectors, boost-a-pump, etc. are still good mods for added safety though, and if you go much higher than 500rwhp they will become a necessity...

That's not a completely objective comment. Every car and every tuner will demand different levels of fuel modifications. Just because yours runs safe with no fuel mods, dose not mean that another with the exact same power mods will not need an entire fuel system.

I have a Stage IV blower and 2.93 upper and needed a MAF with only those mods. My pumps were at their edge before adding the GT pumps and my injectors will be more than maxed as soon as I add the 4# lower.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
I have 680hp and 680tq with STOCK input shaft Spec stage III clutch, STOCK IRS with the brace and bushings I also have stock springs that are cut and stock shocks. I ran a 10.55 @ 135mph. I plan to run a 10.2 with this set up!
To make the car safe would be to get a real good tuner!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I need a boost a pulley. They are far better bang for the buck than a boost a sensor. The boost a sensor is over rated.

LKGRenegade22

Established Member
I have 680hp and 680tq with STOCK input shaft Spec stage III clutch, STOCK IRS with the brace and bushings I also have stock springs that are cut and stock shocks. I ran a 10.55 @ 135mph. I plan to run a 10.2 with this set up!
To make the car safe would be to get a real good tuner!

This post made my night. While I'm excited about the Whippled Termy I'm about to pickup, 600+rwhp and the word STOCK in the same sentence scares me. :coolman:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I'm referring to a MAFia or any other device which adjusts the reading on your stock MAF.

Users who are viewing this thread