how much hp does 1lb of boost add?

Taz

Established Member
Hey, you've already made a complete ass of yourself with that STUPID 25 psi nonsense. Now, go find a DSM board to troll.

Oh, and BTW, you're not the only one with any "personal" experience, Sparky. See the blower in my avatar? It's sitting on my Cobra's motor. Wanna guess who put it there? That's right Einstein, I did. Ya think it's the first blower I've ever installed? Think again. On the other hand, I think the only "experience" you've amassed for yourself is running your pie hole.

Finally, I don't consider quoting a respected authority in a field to be QUITE the same as disseminating internet fables and misinformation, ESPECIALLY when it corresponds with my own "PERSONAL" experience.

Go away.

T-

Taz

Established Member
One more thing ...

That's KENNE Bell, not KENNY Bell.

At least get THAT much right, you foolio!

T-

Illson 94 SVT

Banned
Taz said:
One more thing ...

That's KENNE Bell, not KENNY Bell.

At least get THAT much right, you foolio!

T-

Actually it could be both, imagine if he used his full first name on his products......Kennith Belle S/C's....sorry just found it amusing :lol1:

Taz

Established Member
Illson 94 SVT said:
Actually it could be both, imagine if he used his full first name on his products......Kennith Belle S/C's....sorry just found it amusing :lol1:

Except the man's name is Jim, not Kennith or Kenny or Ken or ...

T-

A Robinson.

Banned
Taz said:
Hey, you've already made a complete ass of yourself with that STUPID 25 psi nonsense. Now, go find a DSM board to troll.

On the other hand, I think the only "experience" you've amassed for yourself is running your pie hole.

T-

You really are clueless so i excuse you. learn how a blower/turbo works we'll be here when you get back.
376rob_working-med.JPG

376fp3052575x.JPG

376villains_driver_front.JPG

376engine450.jpg

I also own a cobra and a nissan armada need pictures of those too? :)

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
ROFLMAO!!
:D :D :D

So you've got a few pics of your shitbox turbo DSM. I have a whole WEBSITE full of pics. Doesn't make EITHER of us an authority, does it???

I'm clueless??? Answer the question I posed earlier regarding your 25 psi BS.

:idea:
Before you call ME clueless provide some REAL tech to refute ANY straight-up technical assertion I've made with something appoaching EVIDENCE to back up your big mouth. Don't just respond with shallow insults and photos of your old shitbox car.

Show me FACTS, Sparky. Go over to the New Edge forum and find me ONE SINGLE CAR over there that's boosted and DOESN'T conform to the 7% rule of thumb. You know what? YOU CAN'T, because there aren't any.

Better yet ...

JUST GO AWAY!!!

From what I've read, you seem to be about as welcome on this board as genital herpes, so either leave or have it known that you're nothing more than a dumbass little TROLL.

Oh, I'm sorry. I just read that you own a NISSAN ARMADA. OMG! I'm sooooo sorry to have disputed your automotive omniscience. It's a well-known fact that everybody who owns an Armada is an automotive oracle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GO AWAY!!!

T-

T-

A Robinson.

Banned
Taz said:
ROFLMAO!!
:D :D :D

So you've got a few pics of your shitbox turbo DSM. I have a whole WEBSITE full of pics. Doesn't make EITHER of us an authority, does it???

I'm clueless??? Answer the question I posed earlier regarding your 25 psi BS.

:idea:
Before you call ME clueless provide some REAL tech to refute ANY straight-up technical assertion I've made with something appoaching EVIDENCE to back up your big mouth. Don't just respond with shallow insults and photos of your old shitbox car.

Show me FACTS, Sparky. Go over to the New Edge forum and find me ONE SINGLE CAR over there that's boosted and DOESN'T conform to the 7% rule of thumb. You know what? YOU CAN'T, because there aren't any.

Better yet ...

JUST GO AWAY!!!

From what I've read, you seem to be about as welcome on this board as genital herpes, so either leave or have it known that you're nothing more than a dumbass little TROLL.

Oh, I'm sorry. I just read that you own a NISSAN ARMADA. OMG! I'm sooooo sorry to have disputed your automotive omniscience. It's a well-known fact that everybody who owns an Armada is an automotive oracle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GO AWAY!!!

T-

T-

So you've got a few pics of your shitbox turbo DSM

that shitbox dsm traps 125 mph what have you done?

I'm clueless???

yes.

Go over to the New Edge forum and find me ONE SINGLE CAR over there that's boosted and DOESN'T conform to the 7%

quadcammer,

Im glad you're impressed.

Taz

Established Member
Oh, your shitbox traps at 125! Oh, MY!!!
:bowdown:

I don't give a rip if your shitbox traps at 350.
:loser:

This is a tech thread. Impress me with your vast automotive knowledge, Your Armadaness. Answer the question I asked about about your nonsense 25 psi statement.
:read:

Oliver (Quadcammer to you) is running CONSIDERABLY more than 10 - 12 psi boost, ISN'T HE? That disqualifies his setup. And you know what? His car STILL conforms to the 7% rulle of thumb. Dumbass.

Finally, ANYBODY WITH HALF A BRAIN knows how to get to my website. Figure it out for yourself. Dumbass.

Better yet. Just go away, TROLL BOY!

T-

Last edited:

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Rule Of Thumb

Robinson- I suspect you are a very capable guy and I also suspect that you could give the original poster a pretty good idea of expected horsepower given that it is a v-8, you know what static compression he is working from and so on. To give the answer that "there are too many variables to tell" is the standard answer a unshure engineer would give. I know, I was an engineer physicist, been there and done that. I oversee about 100 or so of them. Guys that can give me a senior engineer answer off the cuff and from experience to questions are invaluable. This happens a lot even in the age of circuit design via VHDL and mechanical design vis ANSYS FEM. You need an answer quick and you know who to ask. The original poster asked a gereral question. You can answer this question w/o complicating the answer.

STOKED

Forced induction freak
Established Member
Taz said:
This is a tech thread. Impress me with your vast automotive knowledge, Your Armadaness. Answer the question I asked about about your nonsense 25 psi statement.
:read:

T-

I'm on Taz's side! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

25 psi on a 281 is not the same as 25 psi on a 550 rat motor. If you think it is, go back to school. :read: :poke:

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
six bolt said:
A million things *can* happen. Lean out, detonate, ecu pulls timing and you LOSE power because of increased boost.
Gain hp due to the denser aircharge, even if it's just once before she blows.

six bolt said:
My point was you can't simply ask a question with as many variables as "how much horsepower does 1psi of boost add".
You stated how boost was a only measure of pressure. Duh, but...the resultant of that pressure normally has a correlation on HP.

six bolt said:
p.s. I'm surpised you had faith the newbies had intelligence
Not anymore, you ruined it.

A Robinson.

Banned
Originally Posted by Taz

You could be the dumbest fuc to ever post on the Internet. As said previously, its apparently you have no idea how to read a compressor map. Simply because if you did you would know a few fundamental facts.

1) a turbo or blower does not care what its bolted to. All it cares about is if the power plant is capable of spinning it up to its optimum shaft speed based in the size of the compressor wheel and size of the compressor cover. In case you didn't know the only way to measure shaft speed is by how much boost pressure it creates and how much air is moved at a given boost level.

2) Every compressor map shows the compressors range of efficiency at a given air flow and (boost level). Remember boost is created by engine load. If the turbo/blower is to small it will not be able to create enough load because it will not have enough capacity to move as much air as the motor is trying to ingest. This is why your stupid "what if you put the same size blower on a motor with twice the displacement" is so effing stupid.

3) You have a 4.6L 32v v8 with a fucing supercharger and all you could make is 433 hp? Go sit in a corner and think about how effing retarded you are. I made more than that in a (shitbox) dsm on pump gas with a tiny GT37 with a 52 lb/min wheel turbocharger. With half the cylinders and half the displacement don't think so? Go figure out how much HP it takes to propel a 3200lb AWD car to 125 mph in the 1/4 mile Genius.

4) Here is a compressor map toolbag, now figure out at what boost level the compressor is most efficient.
Fig13.gif

cKjuiced

Got Juice?
Established Member
lol, this is pretty funny. You guys are making this into something it's really not. The question to this thread was pretty simple. Maybe he should have been more precise. However, he was just asking in general about how much hp does 1lbs of boost add. Well the correct answer was given just a few answers down and it is anywhere from 10 to 13hp. However there are minimum and maximums. This is pretty much what Mr Robinson there is trying to explain. There are alot of variables. Boost is nothing more then a measure of restricted induction pressure. If we take all the motors away, and stop comparing apples and oranges like big blocks vs small blocks. It doesn't take a genius to understand the outcome would be different on those two particular examples when it comes to boost. The question to this thread was just a simple question and didn't really throw all the other variable that have become of it. That being said, without all the other factors thrown in, it's about 10-13hp up to on average a 10psi maximum and a 4psi minimum. Once you acheive over 10psi the numbers being to change because there is significantly more and more restricted pressure creating more boost. On the other note that Mr Taz is explaning, yes...depending on the engine. You may be able to acheive different results pertaining to the internals of the engine. Just because before heads adn cams you were making 15 lbs of boost and after your only making 8psi doesn't mean your making less horsepower, this really just means your having less restricted pressure amongst the engine theirfore making less boost. Boost is nothing more the a measurement of restricted pressure, in the end depending on the combination it's applied to is going to mean a different result when you travel outside the minimum and maximum baselines.

Taz said:
First, you'd want to know what the motor is good for without boost so you can see how well it responds to the F/I when you apply it. It doesn't freaking matter that you've built a low compression motor with blower cams, etc. It's called a baseline. (BTW, I'm sure that, being the expert you are, you KNOW low comp makes LESS HP per psi boost than high comp!)
While this is true, You are better off with a low compression/high boost combination. The combination of supercharger boost coupled with your static or geometric compression ratio provides a resultant Effective Compression Ratio. There is a complex formula for determining the Effective Compression Ratio. However as an example if you are running an 8.75:1 static compression ratio and 6 pounds of boost you will have an Effective Compression Ratio of 12.32:1. Under normal circumstances with a Centrifugal blower you can usually run an Effective Compression Ratio of from 12.50:1 to 13.10:1. This is exactly the reason you see Top Fuel Dragsters run 5.0:1 compression, so they can combine 40+ psi of boost to the engine and make 7000rwhp. You'll make more power with lower compression every time.

In the End:

Running 20 psi on the street is relatively meaningless. High boost pressure does not necessarily mean high HP. If you are running this kind of boost on the street, you probably have a host of mismatched or restrictive parts on your engine. With properly matched components and an efficient intercooler, one rarely needs to exceed 15 psi on the street. With these in place, you will be at the safe mechanical limits of most stock based engines and HP will be doubled or tripled over stock.

Taz

Established Member
A Robinson. said:
You could be the dumbest fuc to ever post on the Internet.
I wouldn't dream of trying to take the title away from you. I'm smarter than that, AND I’m not the one who spent close to a day scrambling like hell to come up with SOMETHING to support his position ... and then misinterpreted what he found.

1) a turbo or blower does not care what its bolted to.
No shit! WOW! Let me write that down. You REALLY ARE the Oracle of Automovedom!

All it cares about is if the power plant is capable of spinning it up to its optimum shaft speed
Gee, isn't this is the first mention YOU’VE made of shaft speed? I noted compressor RPM as a factor some time ago. Moron.

based in the size of the compressor wheel and size of the compressor cover.
I presume you meant “case” when you said “cover.” Gee, again, I think I ALSO mentioned that's why blowers come in different SIZES for different applications. Retard.

In case you didn't know the only way to measure shaft speed is by how much boost pressure it creates and how much air is moved at a given boost level.
OMFG!!! Another pearl of A(sswipe) Robinson’s wisdom!
:lol: :lol: PLEASE, OH PLEASE explain to us mere mortals why it is impossible to measure shaft speed -
Right after you explain how it is that every blower’s max efficiency is reached at 25 psi boost.

2) Every compressor map shows the compressors range of efficiency at a given air flow and (boost level).

Hey Dumptruck! Pressure ratio is NOT THE SAME as boost level, you Neanderthal. Pressure ratio is internal to the compressor, whereas we measure BOOST level in the manifold. The same compressor producing the SAME pressure ratio at the same RPM will produce DIFFERENT boost levels in different size applications. DUMBASS!!!

Remember boost is created by engine load. If the turbo/blower is to [sic] small it will not be able to create enough load because it will not have enough capacity to move as much air as the motor is trying to ingest. This is why your stupid "what if you put the same size blower on a motor with twice the displacement" is so effing stupid.
Boost is CREATED by engine load??? BAWAWAWAWAWA! That entire statement is a distortion based on a complete misunderstanding of the dynamics involved. You have the cart before the horse. See my comment above. Insect.

3) You have a 4.6L 32v v8 with a fucing supercharger and all you could make is 433 hp? Go sit in a corner and think about how effing retarded you are.
Well, well, well. I see you FINALLY found your way to my website. How long did it take you, Einstein? Don’t bother to answer that. Just tell me, Shit-for-brains, Mr. Armadaness, just HOW MUCH power do you think I should be trying to make with a stock bottom end consisting of hypereutectic pistons and powdered rods? Come on. This isn’t a trick question. Enlighten me, Dickless. No. Again, don’t bother to answer that one. I personally don’t care what you’d advise. You’ve got your head so far up your ass, you’ll never see the light of day, so I won’t be looking for any advice from the likes of you.

I made more than that in a (shitbox) dsm on pump gas with a tiny GT37 with a 52 lb/min wheel turbocharger. With half the cylinders and half the displacement don't think so? Go figure out how much HP it takes to propel a 3200lb AWD car to 125 mph in the 1/4 mile Genius.
Hey, Shit-for-brains, let me make this perfectly clear. I don’t give a flying rip HOW FAST your goddamned SHITBOX DSM is OR how much power it makes. Is that perfectly clear? Go play “My dick’s bigger than your dick” with somebody who gives a shit.

4) Here is a compressor map toolbag, …

How long did it take you to find a map with practically NO data on it??? Oh, never mind. Here’s a COMPLETE compressor map douche bag I’ve circled the relevant information for you take a day or two and try to figure it out ...

2300ax_map.jpg

And after you figure it out, do us both a favor - just DISAPPEAR. You're not worth any more of my time.

T-

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Boost and Compression

Many of you guys know of this publication but i will refer to it anyway. Corky Bell's "SUPERCHARGED!" In response to the more boost and loweer compression, this is true in dragsters and in theory in street machines. However, Corky refers to a very low compression highh boost car for the street as bieng a "turbo dog" Or "supercharged dog". So there is a trade on low end torque (not much with a 7.5:1 compression ratio) and whan boost kicks in. I have a KB but even it does not kick in instantaneously (but much quicker than a centri). So if you went with a centri or turbo with low compression I would think it would be a fine race car but not fun on the street. As for modest HP gains with the KB that TAZ has, he is correct in that he would like to hang onto the same engine for a while. Even if his lower end were built up, eventually charge temperatures would get high and HP would decrease until detonation set in. SEAN HYLAND rates the stock bottom end of a 32v 4.6L at about 450-460 bhp continuous duty. I believe they are correct. Yes you can get to +500 bhp on a 32v 4.6L but how long will it last? I am getting 380 rwhp on a KB blower with a very consevative tune. But... It will last longer than on blown to 500 bhp. My two cents...

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
By The Way..

Taz:
What is a "COMPRESSOR MAP DOUCHE BAG?" I looked at the drugstore but could not find one.

Taz

Established Member
mlccar said:
Taz:
What is a "COMPRESSOR MAP DOUCHE BAG?" I looked at the drugstore but could not find one.

Hahaha! Sorry about the lack of punctuation there, Bill.

Sometimes I'm just cruising along in the "stream of consciousness" and my sentences come out looking like I lifted them out of a certain James Joyce novel.
;-)

I noticed my screw-up when I reread my post, but I just didn't feel like fixing it.
:-D

T-

Users who are viewing this thread