How Much is Reasonable for an Engagement Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machdup1

Established Member
Enough that when she calls off the engagement, you can get it back, sell for half the purchase price and go to Vegas with your new smoking hot girlfriend.

You have to plan for the future.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
bought a pre owned tiffany ring with matching band for 4k. took it to tiffany, had it authenticated, resized and polished. still have to pop the question though.
NICE! There ya go bro!
Good luck and congrats.

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
Just like others have said....buy what you can afford, don't get a loan to pay for it.....if she's THE ONE for you it won't matter what you pay or how big the stones are, or what it looks like, she'll love it no matter what .......good luck!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Never_Enough

Established Member
if she's THE ONE for you it won't matter what you pay or how big the stones are, or what it looks like, she'll love it no matter what

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Real talk

coposrv

Established Member
I got lucky and I was given her grandmothers diamond after she passed. She picked the setting and some other stuff can't remember. If I paid for it I think I'd be in the 3-5k range? I doubt I would spend that much unless you're making hundreds of thousands a year more than a few 2-3 grand is ridiculous IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdown220

Established Member
We looked at some pretty inexpensive rings around the 800-1000 range but she had a particular style she loved. honestly the band was probably the most expensive part of her ring but it was the one she truly loved. so with that in mind she has to wear it forever so I spent a few grand more than I originally thought I would but I wouldn't have it any other way. plus she says nothing about all the money I spend on guns cars and bikes she's allowed to have nice things too. Oh and to answer the original question I spent less than 1 months pay, it was around 4000

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I paid roughly 4k, cash.

She was happy, and I was happy.

Edit: The answer will vary by person/level of income/what you deem reasonable.

Some may balk at some numbers but then then throw 10's of thousands into a sinking asset(cars). Go with your gut. IF the girl doesn't like it, then you got lucky knowing shes a stuck up before saying "I do"

Last edited:

yellow03cobra

Established Member
spent $1500 on it the first time and another $2000 on an addition to it for our tenth anniversary.

Satyr

Established Member
I think 5k is a typical max from what myself and friends have done. That being said, it really depends on the girl. Some women are really excited about the ring and you have to get something in the 3-5k range to satisfy that desire, while others don't care and will be happy with something around 1k. Not saying one girl is better than the other, it's just that different people have different ideas of what their girlhood fantasy entails.

Blu13gt

Established Member
The answer you get form this question will likely be fairly related to the car the person owns. Example, if the person owns a mostly stock 86 fox then he will probably say a good bit less than the guy who owns a 2017 GT350R.
How much you spend on something like that really should depend on how much you can afford and feel comfortable with. If your young and making 2k a month then you might struggle to buy a ring that costs 1k. Where as if your established and have a career making 200K a year you can probably afford that GT350 and a 10K ring.
Just be sensible man.

P.S. I always felt that rule of thumb of spending 2-3 months salary was nonsense. Most people really can't afford to do that without going into debt. The people who can afford to, typically make a ton of cash and that's why you see 30-300k rings being purchased by the "Elite".

Blown 89

Established Member
^This. Save the money for a house, trip, nicer vehicle, etc.
I agree with this but most women won't. I don't know anyone that didn't consider walking away from their marriage before the wedding even took place due arguments about the cost. The costs involved with weddings and rings are absurd and irresponsible. We are currently scrimping and saving to add a garage on and if I had my way with the wedding we would have had it the day after we were married.

I'd say around $5k is normal but it really depends on what you make at the time.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, go with the gut. My old lady saw a princess cut diamond she fell in love with and I went back and had it put away. Paid for it over a couple months and never looked back. I can say the 4 c's do make a difference to me, just could get past a yellow long diamond. Just make sure it's on a true GIA scale with regards to the cut, unless you're like me and get stuck with the cut they won't rate. Then you have to compare the AGA/AGSL ratings. She still loves it to this day and that WAS worth it. IIRC, I spent 4kish and had the band and wedding ring made by hand to match in a pave setting with baguettes. 1.41ct, VVS1, E color, very good cut w/1.02 ratio. Buy once cry once, 'cause I ain't marrying again.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
There is no set price. It's silly to even suggest that there is. We went to the store, and she picked out the one she wanted. Luckily it was within what I had expected to spend, and I bought it. Had it not been, we would have went somewhere else.

Spend what you feel comfortable with.

I don't know anyone that didn't consider walking away from their marriage before the wedding even took place due arguments about the cost.

This can't be true...

Maybe we don't put such a high importance on money as some people, but if we ever consider ending our marriage over money, then we should probably go ahead and do it.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
I paid roughly 4k, cash.

She was happy, and I was happy.

Edit: The answer will vary by person/level of income/what you deem reasonable.

Some may balk at some numbers but then then throw 10's of thousands into a sinking asset(cars). Go with your gut. IF the girl doesn't like it, then you got lucky knowing shes a stuck up before saying "I do"
A rock is also a sinking asset FYI. Depending on the car, it may not sink so much or at all such as the Ford GT

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
When my wife and I got married years ago I was just a young Airman in the USAF. Our whole set (engagement ring, and both wedding bands) cost me $389 at Gordon's Jewelry.

We'll celebrate our 34th anniversary this February.

U.M.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
A rock is also a sinking asset FYI. Depending on the car, it may not sink so much or at all such as the Ford GT

Almost everything is a sinking asset. Houses usually are an exception, depending on the market/economy.

Quite the example there. $300k+ limited produced car.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I bought my wife's off craigslist. Met the girl at the jewelry store it was purchased at and paid 1/4 the price. Did the same for the wedding band. So I have about a $4000 in jewelry I paid $1000 cash for. The wife had no idea until I fessed up about 3-4 years after we were married. It's white gold so every year I have it re-plated for her so it looks brand new.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Best example of this is..

You drop $4k on a ring and need your money back 3 years later.

I don't think your going to get that anywhere.

Pawn Store will give you $500 and a Jeweler may give you $1,500 in trade.

The only time I think you'll see appreciation is 50 years from now and that's because of inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread