how much noise should FRPP 4.10's make?

DTB

Established Member
Background:
Just had my rear end re-built in my 96cobra with FRPP 4.10's, carbon fiber clutch packs, FRPP rebuild kit and royal purple fluids. I have around 300 break in miles on them so far with the proper heat cycling done @ the beginning and backlash set at .011.

Noises:
First thru 3rd gear is quiet with a little gear whine in the top of 3rd. 4th and 5th have little whine but pretty quiet as long as I'm accelerating through the gear. But in both gears (4 & 5) around 2500rpm I can hear the gear whine a lil louder when I'm either just getting on the throttle or just letting off.

Question:
So I'm wondering if this is normal as I'm breaking them in or if the gear whine should be a consistent noise regardless of throttle or gear? Is this a typical noise to hear? Andwhat type of gear whine do most of you with 4.10's and 4.30's experience?

Thanks

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
I jst put 4.10s in and didnt break them in at all and have no gear whine at any rpm.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I can't say I notice any extra noise off of mine. Any change its your transmission making the noise with the extra rpms?

CobraJazz

drive it everyday
Established Member
It may be the rebuilt differential that is making the noise. The noise with the gears is really dependant on who does the work, and if they are good at it or not. I have had two sets of gears installed, the first made noise, and this current set is pretty quiet.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
some people argue that steeper gears will "sing" a little bit.

Its not always an install problem.

DTB

Established Member
I've heard people say I'm going to get some whine and others say none at all. But before I take it back 2 the shop I figured I'd see what can be possible causes to the whine. So the possibilty of it being shimmed wrong may be an issue? And is fact that its only in 4th and 5th a sign of maybe the transmission?

Kevin @ Wicked

Established Member
depends on the manufacture of the gears. You will even see disclaimers in certain brands that say "some gear noise is normal"

To the trained ear (mine lol) i can tell the difference between bad install, and reg gear whine. If they arent genuine ford gears, not made for frpp, then some noise can be heard. I wouldnt sweat it if the shop that did the install is reputable. But it doesnt hurt to check.

gtowncobra

Established Member
when i had my gears put on seems like i had a whine for the first 200 miles or so pretty much the drive home from the shop then it stopped and you really couldnt hear it anyway, anyhow now you hear nothing at all

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
I bought new FRPP 4:10 gears. i took them to a shop, and they said i might get whine seeing they are a steep gear.

When i picked up the car, he said he was surprised they did not whine AT ALL.

SO my FRPP 4:10s do not whine at all.

DTB

Established Member
Goindeafonmtx said:
Are the gears new or used?
Everything was installed new....... I know my buddy who has a mach 1 says his stock 3.55's whine a little. But I guess ima need to have someone else with the same gears drive it and listen. Seeing as how I'm not familiar with how it should sound. Too bad nobody seems to live in california on these boards. Ima also have the shop check it again when I go 2 change my gear oil after the break in. Thanks again for the input.

DTB

Established Member
Goindeafonmtx said:
Are the gears new or used?
Everything was installed new....... I know my buddy who has a mach 1 says his stock 3.55's whine a little. But I guess ima need to have someone else with the same gears drive it and listen. Seeing as how I'm not familiar with how it should sound. Too bad nobody seems to live in california on these boards. Ima also have the shop check it again when I go 2 change my gear oil after the break in. Thanks again for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread