How much Oil?

KRS

Established Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I didn't have any luck with a search.

I just did my pre-storage oil change and the specified 6.5 quarts brings
the oil level to the bottom of the dip stick. I added another 8oz and it brought it to the mid point. I know the dip sticks aren't the most accurate but it seems a little too far off. How much oil are most adding?

I always drain my engines really well,
I let them drip until they stop.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
6.5 is factory spec...... Why would u not follow the spec in the manual?

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
6.5 does the trick for me and I just changed mine again today. Make sure you let it run for a little bit before checking the dipstick.

KRS

Established Member
6.5 does the trick for me and I just changed mine again today. Make sure you let it run for a little bit before checking the dipstick.

With 6.5 where is the level on your dip stick?

I let it run, park it on a level surface, shut it off and let the oil drain down. It's always been this way, just thought I'd ask to see if everyone's is this way.

marc1

Established Member
How much oil are most adding?

Mine is similar. It takes slightly more than 6.15L (6.5 US qt.) to be just near the top of the hash marks. 6.15L does get me in the allowable range though.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
It should be fine. I always crank mine and let it run for a minute then give it 10 minutes or so before checking it again. But mine is usually right at 6.5 or just a little over.

KRS

Established Member
My 2011 owners manual indicates, 6.5 quarts. When I put in 6.5 quarts it puts me right at the bottom of the hash marks, it would probably take another 1/2 quart to bring me to the top of the hash mark.

KRS

Established Member
Probably 6.5 plus filter. Mine takes just over 7 to get in the hashed section of the stick.

Manual indicates 6.5 with filter change. Maybe something changed with the aluminum blocks or maybe we just do a better job draining the oil out. Nice to hear that someone else is confirming this.

I did some searching and the same issue was being reported in a forum on another Shelby site.

Last edited:

marc1

Established Member
Nice to hear that someone else is confirming this.

Yes, makes me feel better too. I discovered this on one of my oil changes. I complete ignored / forgot to do the conversion (US Quart to Litres) and I put in 6.5L (easy to measure with my litre bottles which is how my current oil brand I use is sold) and that was the perfect amount according to the dipstick. It was right to top on the hash marks but that was fine. I was fully expecting to have to dump a bit after I realized my mistake but no it was fine. When I use US quart sold oil (Redline or the OE 5w50) it never was right (6.5) according to the dipstick. It was always low.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think the 11 up hold closer to 7.5.

No, on mine even 7 would be way to much oil.

My 2011 owners manual indicates, 6.5 quarts. When I put in 6.5 quarts it puts me right at the bottom of the hash marks, it would probably take another 1/2 quart to bring me to the top of the hash mark.

This and I would rather have just enough oil than too much since amsoil has no burn off.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have an '07 and noticed the same thing. Took a little more than 6.5 to match up with the dipstick hash marks last time. The conspiratorial/paranoia side of me, which never rests, is convinced that the producers of engine oil are shortchanging the quarts by a tad.

Users who are viewing this thread