How much power can the stock internals take?

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
So, I've been seeing a lot of supercharger and turbo dyno pull vids on YouTube with the new 5.0 and I am very impressed!

With Procharger and Vortech, they are making around 520-520 WHP with only 7-8 LBS of boost.

I saw a turbo dyno pull where they made 543 HP on I'm not sure how much boost..

So, this begs the question: How much can the factory internals take? I know the car has 11:1 compression, but the bigger issue is the connecting rods and pistons. Detonation can be managed in the tune...

What's the most anyone has made on the factory internals so far??

Has anyone broke anything yet?

Based on my experience, I'd say that 530-550 would be all that it could take without going forged. I wouldn't want to push it...

What do you all think?

Oh, and has anyone tried nitrous yet? I'm sure with the high compression, this motor probably LOVES nitrous..

Homer

ViciousJay

Established Member
dont know, but you can be our official beta tester if you wish too

but i do know someone ran a 125 shot into the 10's

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
dont know, but you can be our official beta tester if you wish too

but i do know someone ran a 125 shot into the 10's

haha, I have to get a 2011 5.0 first...If that were the case, I'd gladly be the beta tester...

If I were to rebuild the motor with forged internals, I'd use it as an opportunity to add a stroker crank.. too bad the earlier 4.6 based stroker cranks won't fit, due to a few minor differences.

ViciousJay

Established Member
haha, I have to get a 2011 5.0 first...If that were the case, I'd gladly be the beta tester...

If I were to rebuild the motor with forged internals, I'd use it as an opportunity to add a stroker crank.. too bad the earlier 4.6 based stroker cranks won't fit, due to a few minor differences.

actually the cranks is forged and is the rods (coated at least) the pistons that are the weak point

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I bet these things will hold 550rw no problem. Really, the only semi-weak spot are the pistons, but they have oil squirters that should do wonders with keeping the temps down.

With cast pistons, it's all in the tune. Keep that detonation at bay, and the motor should be good for a lot of power.

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
JPC made 661 rwhp with a Paxton on their car, not sure what the norm is and how long one of these engines will live for at that power level.

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I don't know if the rods are exactly the same or not, but the rods in the 5.0 are Forged Powdered metal, the rods in the GT500 are forged powdered metal.

It really is the pistons that are the initial weak spot, as said above, with the oil squirters and TiVCT, you can do a lot to avoid detonation.

It would not surprise me to see people north of 700 rwhp on a stock long block.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
One thing that needs to be said is engine longevity is totally dependent on intented use.

A dyno queen 5.0 with 600+rw that gets only the occasional romping will probably last a lot longer than a something with substantially less power that lives at the drag strip.

Users who are viewing this thread