How Much Timing Do You Have?

rlearp

Established Member
I'm running a 6lber and CAI, with larger MAF. I've got a AEM wideband installed and have been to the dyno a few times (stock, 4lber, 6lber).

I'm safely rich, typically 10.5-11.1 on the boost in this hot weather (might require some re-tuning in cold air I know). Might should adjust it up a little, but I'll not worry too much about it at the moment.

I'm running a Predator tune, the ones from last year (can't remember the number) that has been modified a little on the fuel. I notice that when I do the real time data watching with the Predator that my timing under boost is about 15 degrees.

What timing do folks run under boost? I imagine that my timing is leaving a lot on the table, but on the other hand better safe than go boom.

My rear wheel numbers on the 6lber are right at around 390rwhp and 501rwtq.

Ron

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The timing in the tune and the timing you see are totally different. In the tune on a DD I'd run 16* max. The timing you see is after the PCM may pull a degree or two due to IAT2 rise under boost to prevent detonation. You're a/f is really way too low as well. Get it up to al least 11.5:1 which is still totally safe. With a good tune I have run 18* on the street on 93 pump gas and @14# of boost with the eaton. The power gain is minimal though so I'd stay in the 14-16* range unless you're at the track and want every last hp.

rlearp

Established Member
Thanks for that, I checked the AF driving to work in a lot of different WOT settings, and it is higher than I quote. It is about 10.7-11.2, most times, but I hear what you are sayin g and will try and drop aclick or two of fuel out of the Predator tune - if it'll work.

Sounds like the timing is reasonable on my truck, and safe is more important than 10hp to me.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread