How much timing is safe on 93??....

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am going to the tuner November 1st and I know that we will be keeping it relatively safe on the tune. I am not sure how much timing he has in mind for me. I am curious what you guys think is a good number to run at on my car. I am guess-timating around 17-18 lbs. of boost. She is running a Bell intercooler to hopefully keep the IAT's down some. I am only on 93 octane though. So what would guys feel is a safe number for the timing on my car. I don't want to leave a bunch of power on the table but I also don't want to take any chances.

Thanks guys!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Depends on the whole motor set up. What compression, cam timing, etc.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
with the 9:1 compression I'd say 16-17 to be safe.. This is coming from my setup which is also very safe..

8:6 compression 18psi and 18 degrees of timing

JP_Stang

Established Member
Ok, I think 16 is where I think I want to take it to. Just about everyone I have talked to has been between 16 and 18. I am going to let my tuner do his thing first and see where he ends up having it, if he hasn't made it to 16 I am going to ask to see what she does there.

Thanks guys!

NoviGT2000

Established Member
+1 Im running 9.2.1 compression on a novi at 18lbs seeing 16* peak timing at 11.2 af.

My old kenne bell I saw about 18-19* peak timing at 10.8 af. With no detonation. Ran strong on 93.

DarkMach1

Established Member
We can all give input but the best bet is to ask your tuner where he feels safe at, seeing as he's probably seen more setups than we could imagine.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Yeah, he was comfortable with 16 but we worked our way up to that from 12. We never got to see what 16 did for us since the alt. crapped out on me.

Users who are viewing this thread