How much $ to build your 4.6

SnakeNvegas

Established Member
My 1st Cobra will be here in a couple of weeks, and the way I like to race I'm going to prepare for another engine. I need to know about how much you spent on it to have it done (new to mod motors wont do it myself). Maybe a basic build price and a forged price. I will run a blower eventually. Thanks for the input.

steeda_007

Established Member
who to talk to

What ever you do in the end, talk to Sean at Sean Hyland Motorsports. He wrote the book on racing mod motors (the book is available on his web site and it's very good). As with any undertaking, you can spend as much as you want. A friend of mine once said that all we were really doing is racing checkbooks...

SHM offers race ready supercharged motors for Grand-Am Cup and WorldChallenge series. Street motors are also available for up to $17K (honkin motor at $17K).

Anyway, I have found Sean to be very personable and is probably the most knowledgable in the world about Ford mod motors.

IMO

Don

TheSVTKid

Established Member
I have built my own, as well as the motors I build for friends. The main thing that I used is, knowledge from the past on other motors, and brought it over to the Mod-Motor. These motors are NOT as tricky as most would think, now the valve train...thats where she gets complicated.

Happy Motor building.
EA

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
when my motor blew up, i drove my car out of the shop for $5200 and some change all said and done. that includes EVERYTHING - parts and labor.

SnakeNvegas

Established Member
Doug said:
when my motor blew up, i drove my car out of the shop for $5200 and some change all said and done. that includes EVERYTHING - parts and labor.

Doug, by any chance was it an SVT mech. Or was it just a good shop you knew. I was fig. 3-4k with a basic or mild bulid up. When i saw 10-12 got spooked alittle even though i knew that was the FULL-OUT engine. I have built a couple 347's but have no clue on the mods(yet).

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Doug's price is a good representation of a good mild forged shortblock. U can get short blocks for a little over 3k now. Prices are really becoming quite good for the mod motors. Who ever said check out SHM, thats cool if u just want to read his book to learn, but his stuff is VERY expensive and horrible service from what others on here say. Prices for these engines get up there when u start talking about valve train work, and unless u wana go nuts I dont think is necissary. I mean these heads flow better stock then alot of aftermarket 5.0 heads.

chknhwk

WishIHadaCobra said:
Doug's price is a good representation of a good mild forged shortblock. U can get short blocks for a little over 3k now. Prices are really becoming quite good for the mod motors. Who ever said check out SHM, thats cool if u just want to read his book to learn, but his stuff is VERY expensive and horrible service from what others on here say.

I second that on SHM.
Head over to ModularFords.com and look up VT Engines, or just go to their site. Good luck!
I would purchase the 5.0L shortblock from the FRPP catalog and get good slugs and rods for it. SAWEET!

SnakeNvegas

Established Member
TomBoJangles said:
are you talking about a DOHC motor or a 5.0?
DOHC for sure, i was refering to the 5.0 as the stuff im used to working on. Want a heads up of prices if my Modular engine goes out on me. Who knows, by the time it goes I may have more knowledge of the DOHC motor and can do it myself.

Last edited:

COBRASVT

Established Member
Check with Tim over at www.modularpowerhouse.com. They put together a few forced induction ready short blocks for around $3500 I believe.... Then expect $1500-2000 to have someone pull the motor/assemble/put it back in.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
hwkrcng said:
I would purchase the 5.0L shortblock from the FRPP catalog and get good slugs and rods for it. SAWEET!

Um...

$15,000 for the crate engine
50_cammer.jpg

$3,100 just for the block :eek:
50_cammer_block.jpg

Now thats some competitive pricing :poke:

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
yeah but think about that vairable geometry intake! damn that thing is trick. The motor is rated 420 flywheel @ 15% driveline loss = 357rwhp?...thats beat.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
SnakeNvegas said:
Doug, by any chance was it an SVT mech. Or was it just a good shop you knew. I was fig. 3-4k with a basic or mild bulid up. When i saw 10-12 got spooked alittle even though i knew that was the FULL-OUT engine. I have built a couple 347's but have no clue on the mods(yet).

didn't know there was such a thing asn an SVT Mechanic. But my engine builder is quite competant and quite competive in race engine designs. He's got just about every Ford certification you can think of (Master Tech, master mechanic) was voted NorthWest Georgia's best mechanic and he competed in an invite-only engine builder with some of the best engine builders in the country.

Parts alone for my engine build was $3400 - I got the VT Engines 5.0 Stroker rotating assembly. then the rest is miscellaneous parts (gaskets, new oil pump, new bolts, yadda yadda yadda...), labor, and some minor head work (had to have some valve guides replaced) and some polishing on the heads and intake.

Users who are viewing this thread