How much will I have to spend to beat...

03_Snake

Established Member
A buddy at work just installed a Magnacharger on his Z06.

Magnussen's web page FAQ indicates that it is an M-90 blower. As far as boost is concerned: "non-intercooled systems will run about 4.5-5.5 lbs of boost with intercooled systems running slightly higher"

They claim "Gains 130 hp and 130 ft-lbs of rear wheel torque over stock" and have a dyno chart showing this on a 2001 C5.

If a stock Z06 makes 405 HP, this looks like approx. 450 RWHP, assuming 15% drivetrain loss.

I can't let this go by and not do anything, can I?

I have been holding off on pully/chip while my warranty slowly wears out, but now I have to do something!

So, he weighs in about 500# or more lighter than my 'Vert.

$$$$$

It looks costly.

Do I have to consider KB or can I get away with 2.8 and custom chip, plus alot of suspension/stiffening?

Waddiya think?

Tnx!

Shanezam203

Established Member
i am far from an expert but I bet that corvette if tuned right is near the 11's wouldnt you? I'd say put on a 2.8 and get a tune and your set. maybe some tires, and a heat exchanger to be safe. what do you think?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
He'll kill you even if you're pushing 550rwhp with your vert. Modified Z06's are no joke and he has about 700lbs less weight than you do.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
He'll kill you even if you're pushing 550rwhp with your vert. Modified Z06's are no joke and he has about 700lbs less weight than you do.

Yep. Plus the Z's numbers will be more like 480+ rwhp (stock mine was 356 rwhp so + 130 = 480+).

Check out Z06vette.com to see folks that have them.

You'd need a KB / whipple and a LOT of boost (20+ lbs) making over 600 rwhp at least to beat him.

Last edited:

DaleM

Sebring SVTOA
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ok it's time for 200 hp shot of nitrous, and upgrade your fuel system.
If cheap is what you are looking at the Boost a Pump and a MAF could help you, plus dyno tune and chip upgrades. Looking 2 grand or so.
The other way is the KB or W blower upgrades. getting in the 550hp range, more with fuel upgrades is possible. Probably getting closer to 6 grand for all that goes zoom.
Someone suggests tires and such thats another 400 dollars for a good sticky rear set of DRs.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Funny you should ask. My team mate bought the Lingenfelter SC( Magnacharger) intercooled. I have never seen anything so fast in my life. He dynoed 470rwhp on a hot humid day and runs 126mph trap speeds.
We raced a few times on the highway and it was no contest. However, since his dyno, he upped the boost to ??? and now has changed head gaskets twice already. No internal mods, just the blower, injectors, fuel pump and the intercooler. They even cut the stock fiberglass hood...
Here's the car...http://montrealracing.com/?pg=cotm5fr

Pretty fast when it gets to 120. From there it was by by Cobra.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
If you are going to commit that kind of money just to beat a friend then you might as well go into racing as a profession and pick up a sponsor because after him it will just be someone else....................best advise is to just retool your head around a bit and get over any such thoughts.

TheYellowCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Shanezam203
i am far from an expert but I bet that corvette if tuned right is near the 11's wouldnt you? I'd say put on a 2.8 and get a tune and your set. maybe some tires, and a heat exchanger to be safe. what do you think?

That Corvette should run very low 11's.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Z06 + Magnacharger = Reach for a tube of KY because you will get Ass F*#ked.

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
I'd say you need a kenne bell at 15-17 PSI.. Magnacharged z06 puts down about 500/450 rwhp/rwtq. I've seen a vid of a procharged z06 at 8 psi (that's about 550 rwhp) keeping up with a kenne bell'd cobra at 19 PSI.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well, I may be the lone desenter in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, winning with a stock '03 against a modded Z-06 isn't likely, but I think with the normal mods (pulley chip exhaust) from a dig with both on a similar tire (street to street, Dr to Dr, or Et Street to Et street), you might be better off than you think.

I have seen posts on many boards and it seems like the magnacharger must really make the Z06 hard to launch. Most track time posts I've seen are slower than the best times posted by lightly modded Z's driven by the "best" Z06 drivers (J-Rod, Ranger, Powershifter).

I'm sure someone somewhere must have got a good time with that set up, but for the Z-06 it seems like the heads/cam packages is what gets them into the low 11's and 10's.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
KB@19lbs, Stage 3 cams, and NOS. Your friend will shit himself when you beat him..

ModMike1572

Established Member
I have a lot of experience with vettes. I've owned two of them, and my brother currently owns a 99 hardtop c5. That thing for its class is ubtouchable. It takes sooo much more hp to beat one. I would say if he is putting down 450 or more you will need the kb or whipple. But realistically you'll prolly need about 70rwhp more for it to be a drivers race, due to the weight factor, balance, etc. But over 120-130 its over, the top end is sick. Trust me i have lots and lots of experience with vettes against cobras!

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by black03
KB@19lbs, Stage 3 cams, and NOS. Your friend will shit himself when you beat him..

Unfortunately, what I said about the magnacharger on the Z seems to also be true of KB and Whipples on '03s :(

Really it comes down to the loose nuts behind the steering wheel. Learn to get the most out of the HP you have and it is surprising how rare something else gets you.

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
i think a 03-04 with a PC will rock him. Screw the KB...you will need topend to beat him and the PC will give that to you.

cyaford

Established Member
I just posted in another thread about how my '03 Cobra is probably just as fast as my Z06. I need another driver to get a side by side blast on a closed road. I was starting to think the Cobra was faster after I had it was dyno'd. The Cobra put down 445rwhp/467rwtq and the Z06 put down 361rwhp/359rwtq. I've raced a few friends and both of them have said it was about the same race with both cars. :eek: You would think with a 80+hp/100+tq difference, the Cobra would be quite a bit quicker but it isn't.

The best way to beat your friend is to go and race him at the local track. There it doesn't matter who's car is faster, but who the better driver is. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread