How much would it take?

cwlanders

Established Member
I currently work at an audit firm in a medium sized city in the south. I received an offer from a large audit firm in a large southern city which included a 50% salary increase. I also just received an offer from a very well known investment management firm in NYC for X% more. My question is, what % increase in salary would the NYC offer have to be for you to move 800 to 1000 miles away from where you currently are? ( while the offer is real, the question is hypothetical, so what would it take for you to move to the biggest city within 1,000 miles of you?) I will say how much the NYC offer is after I hear a few people's opinion. Thanks!

fishpick

Established Member
I live in NY (not NYC) - and there are a LOT of reasons why the NYC area is losing populating at a higher rate than other massive metro areas around the country.

You could not pay me enough to live in NYC.

Taxes are insane in NY - NYC adds more.
Laws are horrific in NY - NYC adds more.

As a unit of measure - a friend moved from Atlanta to NYC with a job offer making about $250K a year - he thought he was gonna be rich. He lived like a pauper compared to making $150K in ATL... and hates everything about NYC.

Obviously there are millions of people who disagree with this opinion - but since you asked for opinions, and those million are not here - IMHO - enjoy your freedoms and don't move to NY.

lastcall190

Established Member
If it's that high, take the job and live in NJ (before everyone falls over laughing, I understand that's not exactly an attractive option). Bergen, Hudson, and Essex counties have loads of ways to get into the city. I live in Essex county and just don't like the city, so I wouldn't do it, but I'm content in suburbia. Good luck.

-J

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
500k to even consider it and even then I would commute into the actual city and only do it if I could live well and bank about 100k a year.

cwlanders

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the opinions! I was already hesitant despite them offering a 150% increase in pay, but reading your comments just solidifies the fact that it wouldn't be a great fit.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You'll be fine in the south son. You won't go wrong being down here. If you can get a raise and stay in the warmth and sunshine, take it.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you have a family or plan to have one, NYC also isn't exactly the safest spot on the planet in terms of terrorism or similar big events.

Kiohtee

Established Member
It's simple. No amount of money in the world, and I very much mean this, would get me to live in NY/C.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It's a matter of opinion but Denver is too big of a city for me, San Francisco is fun to visit but I lose my cool after a few days. I can't even imagine moving to NYC. It would have to be retarded money for me to consider it.

I can't deal with the traffic, the beggars, the smell, the drivers, etc.

cwlanders

Established Member
It's a matter of opinion but Denver is too big of a city for me, San Francisco is fun to visit but I lose my cool after a few days. I can't even imagine moving to NYC. It would have to be retarded money for me to consider it.

I can't deal with the traffic, the beggars, the smell, the drivers, etc.

I currently do a lot of work with clients in NYC since I specifically audit investment managers. Last time I was up there my friend picked up some trash on the road and a homeless man yelled at him for "ruining the character of the city" by picking up the trash. They are definitely a different breed up there.

Branhammer

Established Member
No amount of money. You can't drive in NYC. At least not without wanting everyone else on the road to die. I like driving too much to live somewhere like that.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Back in the Stone Age when I was single....maybe maybe maybe I could have given NYC a shot - for the money. But i would have hated it. I visited a buddy there 25 years ago for a weekend and HATED IT. Rent is absolutely STUPID MONEY and forget about having anything but a beater for a car because it will get destroyed.

If you are a city-guy it might be for you. If not I'd pass.

verbal

Established Member
I went to college in NYC and while it was fun in my early 20's I would never want to live there now. I only lived a couple of hours from my parents house and found myself needing to leave the city every other weekend to get away from the stress of living there.

I know a lot of people that commute from NJ and PA and the thought of commuting by bus and train everyday would be horrible to me.

fangstang

Established Member
There is a big cultural clash between the southern states and the big cities. Of course you're gonna feel overwhelmed in NYC. You guys are used to a slower pace of living and more of the same people a opposed to NYC being very diverse and fast paced. Its definitely not an easy transition but could be very exciting for you. There are WAY more opportunities in NYC. WAY more money. I live an hour north of NYC and worked there for 10yrs. I have tons of my family spread out all over the burroughs of NY. Just because you will be working in NYC, doesnt mean you have to live there. Personally, I'm not a city guy. I like peace and quiet. I hate traffic too.

Users who are viewing this thread