How much would you pay for a used 96?

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I assume its valve tapping if it goes away, somewhat a common issue on these cars, if its a knock it should be loud as hell

Its loud when your under the car while its running. When I listened to the valve covers its not as loud. Using something like this automotive stethoscope.

31526R1ZDAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

jzepp

Established Member
With a knock, I think thats going to scare buyers... Nobody wants to spend 7k on a car with motor problems.. valve tap, that might be a different story...

If it is a rod knock... 6.5k max with those miles..

Also, mods can sometimes be a bad thing.. same with racing harnesses... People will think youve had to use them and have abused the car. If your going to sell. Take if back to stock, sell the parts and put the stock stuff back on. Youll get some money back for that parts and be able to sell the car for less without hurting your pockets.

Just because you see a cobra in stock form, doesn't mean the person has not abused it.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Im not saying since it doesnt have mods its not abused. Just saying he will get more money parting out bolt-on's and selling it at a lower price.

kwikie

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
Just because you see a cobra in stock form, doesn't mean the person has not abused it.

You show me an unmodded sn95 and I'll show you a guy who has alot of parts for sale on craigslist that you don't know about lol. As for the knock I traded in my 97 vert with a knock in the valve train 2 years ago and got 8k for it so 5k is not out of line just takes the right buyer to want to fix it. I realize you don't want it to sell so check craigslist or local sites for a long block and get a general price and convince your dad it will cost less to fix than he thinks. Best of luck.:rockon:

Koval7887

Established Member
Can you post a video on here? Plenty of us on here should be able to tell you with some confidence whether or not your problem is in the lower end or not based on past experiences. lol.

Jon96cobra

Established Member
Well the guy stopped by saturday and is coming back today to pick it up. He is going to fix it and use it for a daily and down the road for a possible IMSA Race car down the road.

Koval7887

Established Member
$hit that cheap?! I'd have bought it if I knew you only wanted that much! What are you looking to buy next?

Jon96cobra

Established Member
I would like to get another Cobra again either sn95 or maybe a fox. Something I can mod and teach my son how to work on cars and learn to drive.

Slither

Established Member
Sounds about right in this market. Honestly suprised he sold it that quick even for that price. However, it seems these cars did get a bump in price last year or so. I sold a 97 cobra with around 60K miles, blower with less than 1000 miles on it and all the boltons for like 11,500 about 5 years ago. Last year I seen similar cars with no blower for that much

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
well, with the tick that you mentioned, that's just a hair under what i figured you'd get for it. People are scared to death of the knock/tick. Good luck with the vehicle search!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread