How obvious is blowout?

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
Is spark blowout obvious when it happens? I've got a small flat spot around 5200 rpms on my 01 Cobra with a V2-SQ at 10.5 lbs and snow stage II meth/water injection.

On the dyno, it dips about 10hp at 5200, but than continues to increase powerwise after that without any other hiccups. I can barely feel it on the street, just feels little flat.

Would blowout happen consistently at the same RPM, and not at higher RPMs? Or is my problem elsewhere?

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
Is spark blowout obvious when it happens? I've got a small flat spot around 5200 rpms on my 01 Cobra with a V2-SQ at 10.5 lbs and snow stage II meth/water injection.

On the dyno, it dips about 10hp at 5200, but than continues to increase powerwise after that without any other hiccups. I can barely feel it on the street, just feels little flat.

Would blowout happen consistently at the same RPM, and not at higher RPMs? Or is my problem elsewhere?

not to hate on anyone here.. but www.hardcore50.com has alot of pros from NMRA and FFW there.. might wanna give it a shot.. ALOT less B/S there.. good luck Peace!!

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
The spark can get blown out under boost. When it blows out it does not stay out. It will still try to fire anyways. Seems like a good starting point with your problem. What plugs are you running? I would use NGK TR6 gapped at .035. I am running about the same boost level as you and they work great for me.

blownaltered

Established Member
I was having spark blowout and I would never get spark back (thats fixed now). My clutch is slipping now and is doing about the same thing as the original post. Power goes flat at about 5600 rpms and at about 5800 rpms it grabs again and the power shoots up. Could be spark blowout or a clutch.

Erich

Established Member
Spark blowout is a misnomer. What happens is the spark does not occur because under high cyl pressure it cannot jump the gap. In my turbo car, the thing suddenly goes DEAD till you let up. Have to run 0.025 gap to cure it. Fortunately mod motor cars come with better ignitions.
Erich

Apollo 13

Established Member
I took my 98 Cobra with a Vortech to be tuned. Car pulls hard to 6200rpm and bam all the cylinders seem to shut off at once. 426 rwhp.
This sounds like it may be "blow out". I was going to change the plugs as I think there a bit tired. They're Autolites gapped at .038
Rev limiter is set to 7000 rpm. Fuel air is slightly rich. 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF.

Users who are viewing this thread