How relaible are stroker mod motors?

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
I've been kicking the idea around now for a few weeks. Just curious how reliable these kits are? I've seen many arguments on the 5.0 boards about the 347's, 331's etc reliability.

So how much difference is there between a 20-43ci jump on the mod motors other than the obvious change in size? I'm just looking for a relaible street car that I can run on the strip a few times also.

Option 2 would be to just build the bottom end and toss on a Vortech.

I can handle the idea of tuning safe just so I can have a car I can jump into at any time and drive.

Any insight or info would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
what makes them unreliable? People have been building stroker motors for years. you can't just say that because its a stroker its les reliable than stock. It all depends on how you drive your car and how well you take care of it. Nothing else matters, not the size of the motor or how many cubes you pick up from a stroker. As long as everything balanced its no less reliable than a bone stock cobra with 3 miles on it.

The way I look at it now is I'd be stupid to spend so much money and still only have 281ci to work with. More cubic inches equals more power. You can't go wrong with it. I"m so glad I took the leap and went with a stroker.

From the way you talk, it doesn't seem like your big into racing. So I don't think that the added money is gonna be worth what you use it for.

MatchStick

Established Member
Originally posted by Doug

From the way you talk, it doesn't seem like your big into racing. So I don't think that the added money is gonna be worth what you use it for.

I race it, I just don't get onto the internet and brag about it like alot of people on here and other forums do. ;-)

I'm not saying they are un reliable, I was only questioning it for future reference.

I'm sure you know, as well as quite a few others, money doesn't grow on trees so I wanna do it right or close to right the first time.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
unless you know people, its gonna cost you an arm and a leg to do it "right".

That means someone who knows how to work on these mod motors. They are pretty finicky and very precise. Unlike its big brother the 302 pushrod where you can buy a rebuild kit at Bi-Lo and have the bag boy assemble the shortblock for you in a bout 15 minutes...

You really can't go wrong either way, as long as you choose quality parts (American parts) and get someone to assemble it for you.

MatchStick

Established Member

You really can't go wrong either way, as long as you choose quality parts (American parts) and get someone to assemble it for you.

I have no problem paying for quality parts. I'd rather do it right the first time.

So who do you recommend I talk to about building one?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
MV Performance, VT Engines, No Limit Motorsports are the names thrown around my area.

I think there is True Blue up around where you live.

I can give the number to the guy building my motor. His name is Shane Cloer owner/operator of CRE (Cloer Race Engine) Performance. He's a big name in the North Georgia, South Tennessee area. Everything that goes through his shop runs like a bat out of hell. He's real big into building 302s and 351s, but has done quite a few mod motors.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
A few years ago stroker motors weren't very reliable but with testing and redesigning now they are almost as reliable as a stock motor as long as you treat them right. The problem with the older pushrod stroker kits is they would actually pull the bottom ring out of the cylinder causing the ring to break when it was shoved back into the cylinder.for the most part this is no longer a problem. Just spend some extra money on a good kit and have one of the major engine builders like shm build the motor for you and I think you will be very happy. Also spend the extra money on a good synthetic oil. I prefer Mobil 1 but Amsoil is also very good maybe even better depending on who you talk too.

Nick

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
what makes them unreliable? People have been building stroker motors for years. you can't just say that because its a stroker its les reliable than stock. It all depends on how you drive your car and how well you take care of it. Nothing else matters, not the size of the motor or how many cubes you pick up from a stroker. As long as everything balanced its no less reliable than a bone stock cobra with 3 miles on it.

The way I look at it now is I'd be stupid to spend so much money and still only have 281ci to work with. More cubic inches equals more power. You can't go wrong with it. I"m so glad I took the leap and went with a stroker.

For one thing their New and UNTESTED. know anyone that has a 100k mile stroker mod motor? Probably not. No anyone with a 100K mile Big Bore motor? Ok then hes got a valid question. Sure people have been building stroked windsors for years and that means almost nothing to a modular motor program. Besides theres a reason a manufacture makes 2 engines, say a 302, and a 351, and doesnt just go out and make a 302 into a 347. It's called the reliabillity/durabillity of having better ratios between all the parts. And theres a lot to be siad for that. Personally I like strokers/big bore motors and plan to do one. However if you're comparing a stroker to a built 4v 4.6 and a vortech there is NO comparison. It would be hard and expensive to get similar performance out of a stroked 4.6 and a blown 4.6 all other things being equal.:rockon:

Last edited:

MatchStick

Established Member
The points you bring up E. Green Cobra are exactly what I'm talking about. I think for a daily driven car, a 324 stroker could be a hassle, but maybe not. That's why I'm asking before hand.

I've had a few stroked 302's so I know what to expect with those motors. Just not the mod motors.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
what makes a stroked mod motor different from a stroked pushrod motor? rod ratios don't mean squat with a low deck height block like the 302 and the 281.

E Green Cobra: Put a blower on that stroked cobra and see what gains happen ;) I agree, though. 281cid has seen 9s in the 1/4 mile - why go with the stroker? because for my application I would be stupid not to. It just makes sense.

and as far as reliability of 347's vs 331 - the 347 is going to outlast a 331. You don't have to spin it as much to max out the same set of heads.

Same reasoning behind a stroker. I won't have to turn it 75000000 rpms to make power. Therefore extending its lifespan tremendously.

Honestly, what makes you think they would be unreliable? Stroker kits have been made for thousands of types of motors. What makes the physics of a mod motor different? I don't think a company is gonna just slap some random rods and pistons together on a stroker crank and sell a kit.

besides, who in their right mind spends thousands of dollars on a forged rebuild LOOKING FOR LONGEVITY OF AN ENGINE?? I'm sure you picked those pricey high quality forged internals to put around town to get groceries and go to the movies....that's like looking for an SUV with the best gas milege. I don't understand the logic there.

MatchStick

Established Member

besides, who in their right mind spends thousands of dollars on a forged rebuild LOOKING FOR LONGEVITY OF AN ENGINE??

I do. I dont wanna spend thousands of dollars on something thats gonna need a rebuild every 5k miles.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
and as far as reliability of 347's vs 331 - the 347 is going to outlast a 331. You don't have to spin it as much to max out the same set of heads.

Before i bought my 331 i did a lot of searching on Corral to see which one was more reliable. My research concluded that the 331 was more reliable. A lot more people had trouble with the 347 over the 331.

besides, who in their right mind spends thousands of dollars on a forged rebuild LOOKING FOR LONGEVITY OF AN ENGINE??

I spent thousands on my new forged motor looking for longevity. Isnt that why you forge it? (Not sure whether your argument was towards a rebuild or any forged motor)

Last edited:

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i forged it so it could handle a lot of power, not so it would last 100K miles. If i wanted a car to last 100K miles, I'd buy a diesel or a big 6 truck.

Scream'nCobra: Take a look at this thread for the 331 vs 347 topic ;) It might change the way you look at things. Specifically look at posts made by "Adam Culpepper"

http://www.streetcarforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20018

MatchStick

Established Member
I'm not looking for 100k miles either Doug. But it would be nice to have it run a year or so between rebuilds :-D

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
As qualified as he may be, i'm not going to base a $5000+ engine on one engine builders advice and experience. I am going to base it on the experience of many.

331 vs. 347

347 longevity as a daily driver

Some people believe the oil burning of the 347 is a thing of the past as well as the rod problems and all the other problems it has had. Since i dont have a lot of money (college), i went the safe route with the 331.

That aside, the 5.0 is a completely different beast then the mod motors. Like E. Green Cobra said, no one has a stroked mod motor with a lot of miles. Its a new thing and will take a few more years to figure out the longevity of them.

bsmith9165

Established Member
What it all boils down to is hp cost and it cost big! Pre 2003 Cobras cant take the stress of blowers and stroking and if you want it to last and you want to add hp you have to get rid of the weak link whick is the pistons. There is no way around it.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
I have never had my motor apart do the stock rods on our motors look as wimpy as the sohc rods do? I couldn't believe they would pu something that skinny in a motor and actually expect it to last

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread