How reliable would a 4.6 T-Bird be?

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
Thinking of getting 95-97 4.6 T-Bird as a DD, I currently do 110 miles a day so reliability and durability are important.

What are the 4.6 T-Birds like? How many miles can you expect to put on the motor before a rebuild?

Also how does the MPG and reliabilty of the 4.6 compare to the earlier 5.0 T-Birds.

Also I'm I right in thinking the 4.6 was auto only, where as the 5.0 could be had with a manual or auto?

JR Tigerstar

Established Member
I've had my '96 as a daily driver since '99 and like it.

Rebuild depends on how well it has been maintained but I've heard of several with over 200K miles.

I get around 21 to 24 mpg on the highway & that is with 3.73 rear gears.

Yes, the 4.6 MN-12s ('89-'97 Cougars & T-birds) were only available with automatic transmissions.
No, the 5.0 MN-12s were not available with manual transmissions.
Only the supercharged '89/'90 Cougars & supercharged '89-'95 T-birds were available with manual transmissions.
You could do a conversion if you wanted.

I would suggest a '96/'97 since they have better cylinder heads, EGR system & transmission.

Check the suspension for worn out parts & ask for documentation of regular transmission service.​

AkronCobra

Established Member
I have just under 194k on my daily driver 95. Mileage is low 20s, mostly highway. Runs very well. The 96/97 cars had some good updates but also came with the crappy plastic intake. The auto trans. is kind of a pita in my opinion.

Big Bird 5.4

dirt poor hot rodder
Established Member
AkronCobra said:
I have just under 194k on my daily driver 95. Mileage is low 20s, mostly highway. Runs very well. The 96/97 cars had some good updates but also came with the crappy plastic intake. The auto trans. is kind of a pita in my opinion.

I have 245K on mine, except, I have rebuilt /replaced everything at least once, but the doors, trunklid, and some glass is original... but its getting old, and tho' the steel doesnt age too bad (yep, I know spindles, etc. crystallize) everything is do-able, but takes time , and the darned things have been figgured out pretty well.. BUT! plastic
and rubber parts go south with time and heat, so theres a point in time /miles where considering one as a daily driver is sort of risky... I would say about 200k and 11 years are a combined limit, to expect any kind of reliable daily service... at that point wireing and little palstic parts, and ageing electronics start eating you alive.........

AkronCobra

Established Member
Fuel pump went out on me last week and its starting to leak ps fluid. The thing runs strong for what it is, but I may find a replacement if starts being a money pit.

flatblack5.0

breakin stuff since 04
Established Member
with my 3.27's, a PI motor, and a 2000 GT mustang trans (same as stock, but a better valve body) i see around 25-28 highway mpg. my car was poorly maintained and the headgaskets went at about 130K.

Users who are viewing this thread