How Strong is the 28spline 99 cobra IRS

BrokeFourSix

Established Member
soo long story short i traded a guy my solid for a what was supposed to be an 03/04 cobra rear end! well after taking it apart to put gears in it..its a 28spline 99 cobra rear diff! soooo im curious as to if its even worth keeping it a 28 spline or find a 31spline center section and get new halfs shafts! need opinions guys!

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
not what i wanted to hear lol! i have longtubes,gears and a 150 shot! guess i should start looking for 31 spline stuff

I ran it a year later at the track with tongtubes, 4.10s, underdrive pullies, intake, drag radials, and a tune and it did just fine. I think the main reason they brake is due to wheel hop. When i lowered her i never had a problem with the half shafts again.

BrokeFourSix

Established Member
I ran it a year later at the track with tongtubes, 4.10s, underdrive pullies, intake, drag radials, and a tune and it did just fine. I think the main reason they brake is due to wheel hop. When i lowered her i never had a problem with the half shafts again.

ahh okay!! ive also heard drag radials is a good way to kill em to! its better to run a full slick on IRS cars..correct me if im wrong!

it will have a brace and bushings...so maybe it'll be some what strong...i dont plan on much track use...just alot of street use!:pepper:

99MystiC

Established Member
When i had my irs i used launch at 6k but i had the MT ET streets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread