How to beat a sti ... stock for stock

rskdsk

Established Member
I have a buddy with a 05 sti and we have played many times. It is a quick car, but from a roll in 3rd gear on ... I pull him.
The problem is from a stop ... I can not get him and he gets so far ahead that I do not have enough room to catch up. How the hell do I launch this car and stay even with him until my ponies take over?

RGrossman

Established Member
They have the advantage of all wheel drive. We have a disadvantage of rear wheel with boatloads of torque. You need slicks and you will totally destroy him.

MaSTi

Established Member
Until he picks up some better tires also. The stock tires on the STi blow almost as much as the Ford's. You only will kill him if you are racing past 90-100. After 100 you should get him. We are only fast from the dig to 100, after that we just kinda sputter out.

RGrossman

Established Member
I doubt the STi would have the lead of a Cobra for that long. With slicks and good launch, the Cobra will be pulling a 1.6 or so. What kinda starts to STi's manage?

MaSTi

Established Member
I'm horrible at driving mine, and I'm pulling consistant 1.7's on my 60ft. The STi should be ahead at least for the 0-60. Around 50-60, I'm guessing the stang would be on the STi's ass. I have to pull 3rd BEFORE I get to 60, which kills our times by a tenth or two easy.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
rskdsk said:
I have a buddy with a 05 sti and we have played many times. It is a quick car, but from a roll in 3rd gear on ... I pull him.
The problem is from a stop ... I can not get him and he gets so far ahead that I do not have enough room to catch up. How the hell do I launch this car and stay even with him until my ponies take over?

Who leaves their car stock? At least get a CAI and cat-back. Will pick you up 30+ RWHP and make it much easier to reel in the STi. Good luck!

valdo's toy

Established Member
If your STI blow the stock tires then your's must have more than 400whp to do it since they hook excelent on wet pavement. You can get by these STI with a set of 315's Nitto drags. As for the correct way to lounch your STI thare's only one way, dump the clutch at 7k rpm there's no other way to power launch it. If you want to show your buddy what a real car is just tell him to do a top speed race with you and then all the boys will get separated from the men, how about 180mph on the street vs a gear limited 150+ from the Scooby sounds?.Owning both cars (a 460rwhp "03 Cobra and a stupidly stock STI Scooby) I can say that on tha long term the Cobra will withstand anything you can throw at it, of course people will start saying that they break differentials, axles and so but those are only a few and most of them have more than 400rwhp not flywheel hp, just let these STI babys get some serious hp from just bolt-ons (daubt it)and you'll all see just how much they are going to break things, trans, clutches, axles, pistons, rods, blocks, etc. and do so a lot more often and easily that a Cobra. Both cars have different meanings on the street one is better than the other in some area but overall a Cobra can outran any Exotic or Supercar, something the Sti isn't capable of dream about. Sorry STI man I like my Scooby, but I love my Cobra, lets the crossfire begin!!! :beer: :mj: :poke: :beer: :rockon: :fart: :beer: :beer:

chrisle7220

Established Member
From a stop, on the street, he will most likely have you unless you have tires. From a roll, you should demolish him. Cobras trap almost 10mph more in the 1/4mile then the STI, so it would be an ass raping from a roll.

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
get a drag radial and drop the psi to 18lbs. do a nice smokey burnout and launch at 4K rpms riding the clutch out. Power shift the 1 - 2 at or near the rev limiter and the STI will be looking at your tail lights.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Love my WRX for the same reason, I always hook, never wheelhop and go like hell from a dig. 2 liters and a tiny turbo owns you when it is winter in michigan.

MaSTi

Established Member
Valdo- I agree for the most part. The only thing that sucks about the tires is they really have to warm up and you don't get many miles out of them. I don't know what they are like in Puerto Rico, but up here in Mass, they just blow. I didn't think I had to worry in the rain, but guess what....they are not as good as most of us expected.

rskdsk

Established Member
That video is a good representation of what happens to me except my stock cobra can not run that hard on him after I hook up. He has a stock 2005 sti with only 2k on the clock ... I have 25k on the clock with bfg (and a drop in k&N). From that video you can see that the sti easily jumps 3-4 cars on the cobra ... and if you are a stock cobra ... it becomes very hard to play catch-up. We are almost dead even in the quarter, and and more I win, any less he wins.
The new corvette with z51 manages to grip on take off with about the same ponies ... how can they do it and we can not?

rskdsk

Established Member
The more I look at that video the more I realize that the sti got such a jump that it was in 4th gear befor the cobra even caught up. Mind you the cobra caught up and past fast, but hell the quarter would have been almost done by then. Either way guys, those sti awd are not something to assume are easy cobra feed.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I raced one from a dig and he wooped my azz and I couldn't get off the line for anything. wheel hopped then spinned, then bogged 2nd. So that sucked.
He was like I thought those were fast, and asked if I spinned at the line. I was like yeah and told him to go from a 40 roll.
After I pulled about 8 cars on him, he gave some respect and was like holy poo!!

rskdsk

Established Member
Thats it .... I get beat down the quarter from a stop, but once rollin, no contest. Not 8 cars, but an easy win non-the-less.

cgg074

Established Member
Hey Valdo :thumbsup: Boricua!!!

Nice to know another fellow Cobra owner from PR here in SVTP.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
seriously, take your car to the track, and don't leave until you get a sub 2.0 60ft. It takes a lot of practice to get those times, and I was able to do it after 3 trips to the track. At first I was only running mid 13's with 2.3-2.5 60ft. I have managed a 1.99 60ft on street tires, but it took a ton of practice. It will teach you a lot about how to launch a car.

Users who are viewing this thread