how to bleed hydroboost????

jwfisher

Banned
How do you bleed the hydroboost system? I got some air in mine... need to bleed the *entire* system. I know ther eis a special procedure, but don't know what it is...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If you are referring to the boost system as opposed to the hydraulic braking system, it is virtually self bleeding.
I'm not talking about the brakes now, just the boost system.
Just insure that the resevoir is full and with the engine running, turn the wheels back and forth a few times. All done. Any remaining air will dissipate on its own.
Dana

jwfisher

Banned
Nope, doesn't work... there is a special procedure and I don't have the shop manual here.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
It's not hard to bleed air. Just follow the old diesel method. Same system.
Put the front end of the car on jack stands. Fill the ps pump. Start engine, let idle. While engine idles, steer wheels 90% left and right. Do not turn lock to lock. Something to do with a bypass valve. Steer wheels 3 times. Check ps pump level. Top off if necessary. You may want to depress the brake pedal one or two times as well to help fill the accumulator. Check ps pump. Top off if necessary. Repeat this method until the ps fluid level remains constant.
Worked for my 84 Jimmy. System is the same. I had replaced the hydrobooster and didn't have any problems with air afterwards.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
OK, here it is right from the manual:
NOTE: The Hydro-Boost power brake booster (2B560) is generally self-bleeding, and the following procedure will normally bleed the air from the power brake booster. Normal operation of the vehicle will further remove any additional trapped air.

Fill the power steering oil reservoir (3A697) with MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF XT-2-QDX or MERCON® equivalent.
Remove the powertrain control module (PCM) fuse to prevent the engine from starting.

Crank the engine for several seconds.
Check the fluid level in the power steering oil reservoir and add if necessary. Install the powertrain control module (PCM) fuse.
Start the engine.
With the engine running, turn the steering wheel (3600) from stop-to-stop twice. Turn the engine off.
Depress the brake pedal (2455) several times to discharge the accumulator.
Repeat Steps 5 and 6.
If foaming occurs, stop the engine and allow the foam to dissipate.
Repeat Steps 5 and 6 as required, until all the air is removed from the system (when the foaming stops).

Dana

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
The newer method is much simpler then what is in the 99 model manual (JWFisher you sure that isn't what you were thinking of?)

Anyway, for the older models here is the procedure.

For the power steering side:

1. Remove cap and fill reservoir to proper level.
2. Attach stopper to fill opening (looks like a rubber stopper).
3. Attach special tool (a hand operated vacuum pump) to stopper.
4. Start car.
5. Using the tool apply maximum vacuum and maintain for three minutes while idling. (68-85 kPa or 20-25 in/HG).
6. Release vacuum and remove tool.
7. Refill reservoir.
8. Reinstall special tool and reapply vacuum.
9. Cycle steering wheel fully to the left and right every 30 seconds for approximately five minutes.
10. Stop engine and release vacuum and remove special tool.
11. Install reservoir cap and then check for leasks at all connections. If system shows signs of air, repeat this procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread