How to buy a police car?

jeffsavage

Established Member
I think a used police interceptor would be a great daily driver, as the P71 package or 9C1 would make the car very reliable. What is the best way to look for a good used police car? Best places to buy? What to look for as far as vehicle itself?
Just also wanted to say, don't want one merely to be "low key" nor do I want to fool cops so I can drive like a maniac. I like the thought of good reliability (And yes, I do think they look cool)
Thanks for any advice!

Ginsu

Established Member
As FordSVTFan said the best place is a police auction. usually once a year your local or state agency will have one. Then you have to compete with your local taxi businesses.

Now a piece of advise, don't get one!!!! What you will get is a going to be a abused pile of crap! About the only thing to have the lowest possibility will be a former detective car. Former beat cars are just that BEAT THE F#$K up! From stupid long running hours to the stress on the frame and drive train running code 1 to calls wears the crap out of a car.

For example, my departments cars have a service life of about 130,000 to 150,000 miles which is about about a year to a year and half. The average officer puts 100 miles per shift over 3 shifts per day. The popular cars are hot lapped 24/7 meaning they are are hardly turned off. At about 30,000 miles they squick worse than a box of rats, the brakes scream bloody murder, transmission will snap the hell out of your back and the engines drink about a quart a day.

After funning code in traffic (usually 3-4 times a shift some times more and more active pct's about 10-15 times per shift) it is normal to have smoke billowing out of the hub caps from cooking the brakes (actually pulled off the hub caps and see the discs glowing almost red). Since we usually only have standard brakes and to try to keep from loosing those, I use the transmission to supplement the brakes. So to slow down, I down shift using 2 and 1 in the 100 mph range which puts a terrible stress on the transmission. I have also had a car a couple feet off the ground because of humps a intersections or inperfections in the road.

Also think about another thing, we put bloody people people in the backseat, as well as people who puke, shit and piss back there.

Originally posted by jeffsavage
I think a used police interceptor would be a great daily driver, as the P71 package or 9C1 would make the car very reliable. What is the best way to look for a good used police car? Best places to buy? What to look for as far as vehicle itself?
Just also wanted to say, don't want one merely to be "low key" nor do I want to fool cops so I can drive like a maniac. I like the thought of good reliability (And yes, I do think they look cool)
Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Rob is correct. I have seen a few low mileage detective cars that are okay, but nothing you couldnt find on a used car lot!

race495

Established Member
Re: Re: How to buy a police car?

Originally posted by Ginsu

For example, my departments cars have a service life of about 130,000 to 150,000 miles which is about about a year to a year and half. The average officer puts 100 miles per shift over 3 shifts per day. The popular cars are hot lapped 24/7 meaning they are are hardly turned off.

Boy am I glad I have a take home car and am the only one to drive it! You are definitely right on about the abuse the cars have to take as part of the job.

sbro712

Established Member
Buy one? I barely want to drive the POS I am paid to drive every day!

Dude, "Blues Brothers" was just a movie! Don't believe the hype! :)

RedfireCobra

Established Member
Last time I was looking for a car I did come across a dealer that was selling new crown vics with the interceptor package etc., was in Detroit area, can't remember which one.

I think it was like 225HP or something.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Those Vics are sleds. They may have 225HP, but they are heavier than all hell.

The only "police car" I'd be seeking for would be an old fox body 5.0. If I got really desperate, I'd drive my loopy ass down to the Carolinas where they use Z28's and Vettes.

GoatDaddy

I see those police Fox 5.0s on Autotrader.com all the time. THere's one up there right now for about $24K, been there about two months, I think the seller is HIGHLY optimistic about that price.

a64armt

Established Member
:idea:
Buy a Marauder...............You get a better engine and chassis to boot!

Then add a simple push bar and driving lights to the bar................and watch everyone get out of your way and hit their brakes!

:coolman:

Ginsu

Established Member
LOL that is funny! But the down side is getting tagged for impersonating a police officer....not a good outcome!

Originally posted by a64armt
:idea:
Buy a Marauder...............You get a better engine and chassis to boot!

Then add a simple push bar and driving lights to the bar................and watch everyone get out of your way and hit their brakes!

:coolman:

rdy2xlr8

Profesinal Pimp
Established Member
What i would do if I really wanted a police intercepter,I would by all the police itercepter part out of magazines and swaps and then get a mustang lx for example and make that lx into a fake cop car then there car wont have had the shit kicked out of it.

just an idea:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread