How to catch a GTR, need advice on which way to go

twistedneck

Established Member
Well it took me 14 months and a modest :lol: amount of cash to finally get to the stock GTRs time of 47.2. As many people have told me it must be 50% driver time and 50% car mods. The biggest mod...you guessed it! tires. Well now the GTR fellow got himself a brand new GTR with the 800 hp schwitzer kit and Hoosiers. so his time dropped to 41.xx. Thats how it goes, not to mention, he improved his driving as well.

When you start out its always easy to think a mod will make you faster and its difficult to accept that you, the driver are the main reason you cant go faster. Take the tip everyone told me!!! Track time!!

Just in case, this is the list of mods made to the car.

MM camber plates, Pagid RS29/56 pads, Kooks header with catted xpipe, DBA 4000 fronts, rears Stoptech slotted, Castrol SRF, FFRP brake ducts, SVE Drifts 18x10, Nitto NT555 R extreme 305/35-18 square, -2.4 camber, 0.05 toe out, P springs, Tranny duct. BMR adjustable Panhard, Relocation brackets and LCA. KN air filter, Whiteline tranny bushing, Blowfish racing Shifter fix with MGW

Are you sure those are Nitto NT555R? Those are drag radials. The NT01 is the road race tire.

Splatter

Established Member
Nitto NT555 RII extreme. Road race tire.

They are now out of production. The NT01 is the same tire but with different tread pattern.

Thanks Grant, little by little!! We have our season finally on the 28th, Hope to have a successful video to upload! Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
Who cares if it's faster, i'll bet good money that the Boss is twice as much fun to drive both on the street and track!

Even if Nissan made the GTR faster than a Bugatti I would still have zero interest in that car.

todcp

Established Member
I instructed a guy in a GTR with a worked over motor. The car was insanely quick and the driver was not. The GTR did not seem to care what mistakes the driver made as it corrected errors quicker than I could point them out. Being a passenger scared the heck out of me.
No Mustang with unlimited mods and an equal driver can keep up with the GTR. That said; I have zero interest in owning one. The fun is controlling the car not the other way around for me. Money no object a GTR would not be on my wish list.

darreng505

Established Member
I instructed a guy in a GTR with a worked over motor. The car was insanely quick and the driver was not. The GTR did not seem to care what mistakes the driver made as it corrected errors quicker than I could point them out. Being a passenger scared the heck out of me.
No Mustang with unlimited mods and an equal driver can keep up with the GTR. That said; I have zero interest in owning one. The fun is controlling the car not the other way around for me. Money no object a GTR would not be on my wish list.

My track friends who had GTRs sold them. They're big and heavy.

But it IS possible for a race prepped boss mustang to beat a stock gtr. I just did a quick search on youtube and found some GTR hot laps at VIR. Best I found was 2:06 by none other than Mike Skeen. Granted I doubt he was driving 10/10's but he wasn't slouching either. He's a pro and I'm an amateur. I run 2:04's in my mustang and my car can easily do 1:58's with a better driver than me.

Users who are viewing this thread