How to clutch vacuum bleed?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Hey, I'm putting together a list of the steps needed to vacuum bleed the clutch line on our cars.

Jack the front end of the car up.

Hook mighty vac up to reservoir with one of the included caps.

Pressurize the reservoir with 10-12 in/hg of vacuum.

Leave it hooked for 2-3 minutes.

Take off cap and fill reservoir as needed.

Repeat 2-4 times or however many needed.

How does all of this sound to vacuum bleed the clutch reservoir?

Last edited:

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
Pressurize reservoir with air psi? I think you meant apply vacuum source until approximately 7-10 in/hg is achieved. Do it in 5 minute intervals. But before the initial vacuum application and in between applications give the pedal quite a few strokes. Definitely a nice little how-to that some will need tho.

mavisky

Established Member
Pull a vacuum for about a minute, then pump the pedal 10 times, repeat as necessary. I did this to my car and it helped a ton.

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Please excuse my ignorance on this topic but when I swapped clutch lines, the instructions were to pump the pedal about 50 thousand times and it will eventually self bleed. So the vacuum bleed is a faster/easier way to do the same thing? Is there any benefit with vacuum bleeding method over the single leg press for cardio method?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Pressurize reservoir with air psi? I think you meant apply vacuum source until approximately 7-10 in/hg is achieved. Do it in 5 minute intervals. But before the initial vacuum application and in between applications give the pedal quite a few strokes. Definitely a nice little how-to that some will need tho.

Yep, that's it. Made a mistake and got the two mixed up.

Thanks for the correction.

And this is for people swapping the clutch and changing the slave cylinder. I know of a few people who have had issues with air in the system after a clutch swap and it makes the clutch not work correctly. Pumping the pedal 100 times will work for a line swap and it may or may not work 100% for a clutch swap. Just some extra steps to get air out of the system completely.

Users who are viewing this thread