how to get 400 rwhp from 99 cobra motor NA?

badboycali_559

Established Member
hey guys, it's been a while since i've been here coz i ended up selling the cobra. I ended up buying a 01 z06 but sold that as well because of never ending problems. I was in the market for a terminator but ended up getting one hell of a deal on a 99 cobra from a friend whose a dealer (40k miles on the car for 6k, all stock). I do not wanna go the s/c route. My last cobra was running 8lb of boost and put down 443rwhp but it stayed in the shop more then in my garage because of tuning issues :shrug: and always getting busted for my l/t headers coz cali sucks a$$ when it comes to perfomrance parts. I have about 6k to spare on the motor but i want it to be street legal and NA. So far i've just purchased jba shorty headers, x-pipe and borla with jlt cai, 3.73's and a spec stage 2. Ordering a promotion's build t-45 on monday as well. I just need some advice on wat to do with this car to get the most of the motor. I m looking for about 400 to 450rwhp. goal is to be street legal and NA. This car will be my daily driver as well and i drive about 300 miles a week for work all over cali. I would buy a terminator but i don't really wanna deal with the s/c issues again. Any suggestions would be appretiated. Thanks

CobraKalas

Established Member
damn dude, thats one hell of a deal on a 99!, im sure others will chime in as they have these mods, perhaps NAZMAN will do so. pretty much the new edge GOD here when it comes to N/A. whatever you end up with lemme know cuz thats my goals too!

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Why only 3.73's? IMO you should go 4.10's MINIMUM, but if I was you I'd do 4.30's or 4.56's depending on whether the car is a daily driver or not.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I got a dyno proven setup to 410rwhp...

ported fr500 heads, fr500 cams and ported fr500 intake, slp longtubes and x-pipe, jlt rai... Nazs old setup ;)

as for the gears, if you stay N/A go 4:30s or more!!!! don't fear the gear!!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
You can get there with bowl ported 99 heads and a good valve job, Comp 106400 cams and springs, and a Sullivan intake. You can get close to the stocke intake if you up the compression bunch, but with only 91 octane in California you may not want to do that. An aftermarket throttle body isn't needed but you will need 30lb injectors and a MAF.

My combination is a bit different than this but not much, cams that are a little more aggressive than the FR500s, a Sullivan intake, 03 heads, and hooker long tubes.

Last edited:

01vert

Established Member
Think it is gonna be tough to get to 400 with shorties as most here run longtubes on the high HP NA motors. Gears, looks like at least 410 with most going 430 or 456. For 6k I think you are gonna have a tough time keeping it with cats and cali gas. No high comp, no radical cams etc, The FR cams heads and intake will eat all the 6k with no assembly.

99svtvert

You can make 400 with shorties, But it varies from car to car (385 - 405) same setup just like stock varied about 15-29 RWHP car to car. It is kind og silly to shoot for a speciaif number necause there are so many variables. For example, I switched from a Borla Stinger to a FR500 CB to get rod of cabin drone and lost HP. So what would my number be with the Borla ?

The tune is a huge variable too.

Suffice to say; most 99-01 Cobras can get around 400 RWHP with a complete FR500 setup including ported heads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread