How to get factory stock ECU tune for 2015 GT?

ldc1955

Established Member
I am thinking about buying a low mileage 2015 GT which has a JLT CAI installed and which runs too well not to have had the tune JLT says is required when installing their intake. The car does NOT come with a handheld tuner, which I assume would have contained the stock factory tune, so I am wondering if/how I can get the original Ford engine map with which this particular car left the factory. I assume this need has come up in the past, whether due to a lost or stolen or badly damaged handheld tuner, but did a forum search and did not find much to go on. Would appreciate any of you who may have solved this problem posting how you obtained the original factory stock tune file for your car. Thanks!

decipha

Established Member
ford doesnt tune each vehicle individually, the 4 character alpha-nueric "catch code" on the ecu will tell you the stock calibration it came with

any dealership or competent tuner can write you a stock tune with that info

The JLT intakes requires you to remove the maf sensor and install it in the larger inlet resulting in a new meter, the tune is needed for the new meter

typically the "tune" needs a 30% global increase in maf flow for that new meter, all else can stay the same

It is very possible that the ecu has adapted to the ragged edge of its adaptive clip limit to compensate on a bone stock tune, usually its the warming up enrichment needed that triggers a check engine light

btw, the larger inlet reduces low end tq down low, if its a daily driver / street driven vehicle I recommend sticking with the stock maf/inlet

ldc1955

Established Member
Decipha, thanks very much for your comments here. Can you or others tell me if it takes a tuner or obdII scanner to view the ecu catch code orcan it be read visually by examining the ecu itself?

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
IDS is the Ford tool used to flash the various modules in your vehicle, PCM, TCM, BCM, etc...

Think of it like a more advanced handheld tuner that can completely overwrite them to factory, run diagnostic tests, and program various features(factory options).

Every Ford dealer has them, but is usually cost prohibitive for smaller mechanics to have. I have one just for fun/hobby use, but it is not cost-effective for 99% of home users(wasnt for me either lol).

Users who are viewing this thread