How to get the harmonic balancer bolt to thread back into crank?

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
So I was an idiot when using the harmonic balancer puller to get the balancer off and didn't use the pointed stopper at first to keep the main driver of the puller from pushing against the threads. It messed up the first thread on the crank before we stopped and put that piece on and finished pulling the balancer off. I cleaned out the first thread but now the balancer bolt won't start threading into the crank.

There wasn't too much damage so it should fixable. What's the best way to get the balancer bolt to thread back in tho?

Do I need a thread chaser?

Should I use this to just clean out the threads and then see if it will start?:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-1...Kl6E7yh6pPQqUl43Ba3u-LtYg-bRX0ecoEaAoXj8P8HAQ

Need to get the car back up and running so I need to take care of this asap. Thanks for the help.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I would use a starter tap to chase the threads. 1/2 turn in, 1/4 turn out, and use some type of thread cutting oil on the tap to keep it from binding up. If it's just the first few threads like your describing, it shouldn't take much to repair.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I would use a starter tap to chase the threads. 1/2 turn in, 1/4 turn out, and use some type of thread cutting oil on the tap to keep it from binding up. If it's just the first few threads like your describing, it shouldn't take much to repair.

X2 You should be fine with that

MalcolmV8

Established Member
At least you stopped and caught it before destroying it completely. You mention just the first thread or so, should be no problem chasing as mentioned above. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread