How to hide a Double Din Unit? Do you do it?

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
Well I just purchased a Pioneer PV4100 thanks to the recent thread...lol

But the only thing I don't like about it is I would love for it to have a detachable face like the JVC AW810J , but that one isn't as customizable so I had to pick the Pioneer because I love customizing crap.

I live in an ok neighborhood but when I first moved in someone broke in my car and took my radio within 2 months and 8 months after that I had a friend who was parked along the street get broken into (but she was stupid and left her purse in plain sight overnight). So I got an alarm installed with 2/way paging right after I got jacked and haven't had any problem since...but with a Double DIN I am kinda scared that it might happen again (not at my house since I will have a shotty waiting for them, but some parking lot or something) and want to try and deter as much as possible.

I have been looking online and there hasn't been really any good solution, the only good solution I can find so far is to find a old OEM ford radio and take the faceplate off and try and cover it with that...Any other good ideas? Should I not really be worried with a good alarm?

operator1391

Established Member
not really much you can do , you can cover it with a small towel lol eather way just be ready with a cocked 45

Blaine@PSI

Established Member
it may not be as common as you might think. espacially now with new cars coming from the factory with double din Nav units. just dont do the obvious wrong things and you should be ok. go as dark as you can on the tint and park as close to security cams or guards as you can.

NoRdO

Established Member
Build some box out of wood to fit over the face plate of the unit or something that can cover up the face and stay there. Paint it black and it will look like you don't have a radio.

themadgnome

I don't talk stock
Established Member
I just had my truck broken into, I have 5% tint on the windows and a flip up in-dash that was closed and they still took it. You can try to make some kind of cover, but I really don't know how effective it will be. Criminals are getting very desperate, they don't have much to loose and are willing to break into anything that looks like a decent car.

Z7What