How to install A/C??...

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

I used the search function trying to find something on this but I didn't find anything helpful. I bought my 96 Cobra with an A/C delete installed. I recently decided to put A/C back on her for the summer cruises. I bought a complete system from a guy who was parting out his 96 Cobra. I just need to know how to reinstall everything. I need to know placement of the parts and how the lines are routed. Does anyone know where I can find a diagram or does someone have some detailed pictures by chance of the A/C system in our cars?

Also, do you guys think I should dump the 96 condenser and get a 97 or 98 style condenser? I know that the 96's had cooling issues that may have been caused by the dense condenser they came with.

Thanks for the help guys!

JP_Stang

Established Member
Rockauto.com has condenser's that seem alot less dense and I have read where people switched to these and saw improvements with their cooling issues. I will probably purchase one of these. They also sell an A/C gasket and o-ring set. This is something I should probably pick up also wouldn't you think?...

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Measure the number of fins/inch first. If you get 22 fins per inch, then you have the dense condenser and you will want to find a new one if you can.

You going to convert to R134?

JP_Stang

Established Member
I have already checked the fin count and yes, I have the dense one. I guess I will pick up one from rockauto.com. I would like to use R134A since I can get that for free where I work. These cars don't already use R134? If I do want to go to R134, what do I have to do?

hittinboost

Established Member
I'm keeping a close eye on this thread as one of the previous owners removed my a/c also. I did some fuzzy math and came up to about $450 worth of parts needed...ugggh

JP_Stang

Established Member
Buy them used man! Find someone parting out their cobra. 97 or 98 perferably so you don't get the 96 condenser like I did. There is a guy on this forum with an almost complete kit for sale. I talked to him when I was looking for mine. I only paid $100 shipped to me for mine. I will need to purchase a different condenser but that won't cost me anymore than $110. rockauto.com has them new for that, but I am going to try and find a 97 or 98 model for quite a bit less hopefully. Even if I buy that new, with a new gasket and o-ring set (also from rockauto.com), I will still only have maybe $250 in it for everything I need to get it working.

hittinboost

Established Member
Buy them used man! Find someone parting out their cobra. 97 or 98 perferably so you don't get the 96 condenser like I did. There is a guy on this forum with an almost complete kit for sale. I talked to him when I was looking for mine. I only paid $100 shipped to me for mine. I will need to purchase a different condenser but that won't cost me anymore than $110. rockauto.com has them new for that, but I am going to try and find a 97 or 98 model for quite a bit less hopefully. Even if I buy that new, with a new gasket and o-ring set (also from rockauto.com), I will still only have maybe $250 in it for everything I need to get it working.
Yea that's a good idea, just gotta find someone parting out their car. Is the Cobra a/c the same as any other 97-98 Mustang or are there differences?

JP_Stang

Established Member
You know, I am not sure about that one. I don't think there would be a difference tho because the placement of the compressor, condenser and everything would be the same. Plus, the lines would come out the same spot since they use the same car with different drivetrain, interior and body kit. Everything else is virtually the same....

Users who are viewing this thread