How to keep a Foxbody runny cool on the track?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
How to keep a Foxbody running cool on the track?

I recently picked up a Foxbody coupe for track duty and want to ensure that I have sufficient cooling before my first trackday in the car. It has a 331 and an aluminum Mishimoto radiator with dual electric fans, but I'm not sure if this setup, with a GT front bumper, will be enough cooling.

I did my research when I had a 98 cobra, but with this new car being a bottom feeder, I'd like to revisit the topic.

1. Should I box in the radiator (seal it on the sides, top, and bottom)?
2. Do I still need to run an air dam at the stock location?
3. Can I leave it as-is with the stock air dam only?
4. Should I make it a front breather by cutting open the stock GT's grill area to be similar to an LX front bumper?

Thanks!

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
I would modify the bumper to be similar to an LX, also might want to get something other than the stock hood to get the hot air out of the engine bay.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Thanks. I do plan to install a GT500 vent/heat extractor on the hood but I was hoping to wait on this mod until a later time.

86Fbody

Established Member
Thanks. I do plan to install a GT500 vent/heat extractor on the hood but I was hoping to wait on this mod until a later time.

You could try also ceramic coating the headers, anything to keep heat out of there.

86Fbody

Established Member
The only other thing I can think of is an oil cooler if the motor uses anything similar to the newer 4.6 oil pre heater setup.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have been running a GT foxbody for a few years now. I installed 4 row radiator, oil cooler (make sure you put it in front of the radiator with a 4 row cooler or your oil will get hot), and 160 degree thermostat. I am making about 270rwhp and am guessing your 331 will make more. My plan for 2015 is to install a Cobra grill kit to open up the front bumper cover and an oversize lower air damn.

Sirl

Established Member
I guess I didnt quote properly...

Thanks. I do plan to install a GT500 vent/heat extractor on the hood but I was
hoping to wait on this mod until a later time.

I've got one BNIB!!
Was going to use it on my track car but sold the car.
Its just sitting in my garage.

PM me when your ready,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread